Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

So the record isn't weak because nobody runs it yet if the faster guys ran it it would be a lot faster.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    My only point is that a 8:48 2-mile (a time most usually equivalent to the Steeple) is a very elite time, and given that the Steeple is NOT contested at state meets (exc NY), the record was excellent!
    Using your thought process, that means the steeple record is now equivalent to the 1966 high school record in the two mile - 8:48 by Rick Riley. It was an excellent record ... 48 years ago.
    Last edited by booond; 07-26-2014 at 10:02 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    Using your thought process, that means . . .
    Ha! If you actually could use my thought process, you'd be in perfect agreement!

4. Collapse Details
    World Juniors: HS boys steeple record for Bailey Roth
    Administrator
    not sure how so many posts on this got sidetracked into a Mary Cain discussion.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    not sure how so many posts on this got sidetracked into a Mary Cain discussion.
    Easy.
    I'd commented that I wasn't 100% happy with Cain's race, as I felt she won with a time about 20 seconds SLOWER than her (current) true potential.

I gave as an example Roth's race, in which he finished just 5th (or 6th?) in his heat, yet broke the HSR!
    Meaning, I was happier with Roth's result (even though he finished 5th or 6th!) than with Cain's, (where she won the race!).

And that's what kicked off the Roth discussion.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    Easy.
    I'd commented that I wasn't 100% happy with Cain's race, as I felt she won with a time about 20 seconds SLOWER than her (current) true potential.

I gave as an example Roth's race, in which he finished just 5th (or 6th?) in his heat, yet broke the HSR!
    Meaning, I was happier with Roth's result (even though he finished 5th or 6th!) than with Cain's, (where she won the race!).

And that's what kicked off the Roth discussion.
    It is exciting to see an athlete go for broke. This is why Rudisha's 800 at the 2012 Games is for me one of the most exciting races I have ever seen. Unfortunately with track, at the championship levels we will simply not see much of this. Just the way it is. But hey, Mary won. And Roth took down a very old record. Weak or not, Roth has that feather in his cap.

7. Collapse Details

Well, now that Bailey Roth has run 8:47.04, the HSR is about 1 1/2 seconds "stronger" than it was a couple of days ago. Congratulations to him for these two PBs!

8. Collapse Details

Excellent and measured race for Roth!

9. Collapse Details

Also, makes him =10th performer on the US Jr list (tied with Henry Perez 8.47.0 non-auto). This is the 1st performer on the top 10 list since 1999, so even the US jr collegians who compete regularly in the steeple haven't had top performers recently.

10. Collapse Details

^ Thanks for pointing this out. I noticed after the 8:48 qualifying time that he was close to the US Jr top 10, so it's great to see him get on that list. He is just 18 now, so he will have another full year of junior status. I hope he gains from this experience and continues to improve.