Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details

I also noticed an article on Dyestat that pointed out the former record holder, Jeff Hess, witnessed the record, as he is a coach at South Eugene HS, his alma mater. Also ironically, Hess ran his record on the same track at the Pre Classic, against pros.

Regardless of the strength or weakness of a record, breaking any national record is a notable accomplishment, especially one that has lasted so long. As many can attest, it takes good hurdling/barrier technique as well as distance strength/endurance to be a good steepler. Let's give Roth his due, instead of the faint praise that it was a weak record.

2. Collapse Details

"it takes good hurdling/barrier technique as well as distance strength/endurance to be a good steepler"

gotta say this - I've seen some/many/numerous (primarily Kenyan) Steeplers with horrendous hurdle form. Generally speaking I agree with what your saying, but it's (hurdle form/tech) not really essential.

But - no harm - no foul.

3. Collapse Details

The fact that he broke the HSR twice reminds me a bit of what Brianna Nerud did in the Barcelona WJC.
    She broke the girls HSR twice there, with times of 10:09 and 10:00.

Of course, the girls HSR (then and now) WAS weak.......and of much more recent vintage!!
    So Roth's achievement gets much more weight attached to it!

But they DID both break the HSR twice in the same meet!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    ^ Thanks for pointing this out. I noticed after the 8:48 qualifying time that he was close to the US Jr top 10, so it's great to see him get on that list. He is just 18 now, so he will have another full year of junior status. I hope he gains from this experience and continues to improve.
    Yes, but no World Juniors next year. This is one of those "advantageous birth year" things. If you win in your age-17 year, you get a chance to come back and defend, like Cuba's Rodriguez in the hep (she wasn't able to defend). 15-17-19, but 16-18, then ineligible in age-20 year.

Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA

5. Collapse Details

Yes. Just to be clear -- not thinking there is a WJ every year. I know that schedule. However, he will still be a junior athlete next year and thus might still ascend the US junior a-t list via his other competitions, e.g., in the collegiate realm. That is all I was suggesting. I hope he can be a successful Steepler in the USA context. Given the Kenyan dominance of this event, I have no illusions about his chances of an international medal, unless he can eventually drop his PB about 45-50 seconds, which is a daunting thing even to consider. In any case, I appreciate his accomplishments and wish him well.
    Last edited by Master Po; 07-28-2014 at 11:24 AM.

6. Collapse Details

Interesting analogy to the progress of Evan Jager.

Jager had never run a Steeple prior to 2012, and then in just a handful of Steeples, he breaks the AR!!

Roth hadn't even seen a Steeple hurdle prior to just a few weeks before his first race.....at 2K in 2013.
    In less than a handful of races, he runs 5:45!
    One year later, he brings that time down to 5:41 at NBN.

Then, in his very FIRST effort over the 3000SC distance, he runs 9:03.

And a short 3 weeks later, in his SECOND run over the longer distance, he breaks the HSR!!
    Then does it AGAIN in his THIRD effort over 3K!!

Again, interesting comparison!!

One more thing: Roth is about 7 (SEVEN!!) years younger than Jager!!
    Last edited by aaronk; 07-28-2014 at 11:38 AM.

7. Collapse Details

^ It is probably the case that every up and coming steepler in the USA will now be compared to Jager. I don't have Roth's full stats, but here are some comparisons for starters:

Roth (January 1996), now 18yo, took up the steeple in 2013, at age 17. Jager (March 1989), now 25yo, took up the steeple in 2012, at age 23. So, I suppose one thing we will see is the benefit, perhaps, of taking up this event earlier rather than slightly later. I have no speculations or wisdom on that point.

Some other comparisons -- the data is sparse, of course, but what the heck:

Roth (age 17): mile 4:12.17 (16 June 2013 NB Outdoor Natl). Roth also ran 5:49.24 2K steeple that day -- not sure which event was first but a nice double in any case.
    Jager (age 17): mile 4:13.29 (17 June 2006 Nike Outdoor Natl), 2 mile 8:50.42 (16 June NON) -- nice mile after a good 2 mile the day before.

If Roth ran his steeple before his mile in that meet, then this is more or less a good comparison of exactly one performance each at the mile.

Roth (18): I don't have any 1500/mile 3k/2mile times at hand for him at the moment. All I have are steeple marks, which of course EJ did not have at this age.
    Jager (18): mile 4:05.68, 2 mile 8:47.59 (both 15 June 2007 at Nike Outdoor Natl -- not sure which event was first, but a nice double in any case.)

Jager's 2mile at that age is about the same as Roth's steeple.

All of this is worth exactly nothing, of course, except that it is entertaining to think about, and to show that at age 17, under what were perhaps somewhat similar circumstances, these two had similar mile times.

My crystal ball is broken and out of warranty so I guess I will just wait to see what the future brings.

8. Collapse Details

http://parser.dyestat.com/search.jsp?athID=240643

Roth's times are here. As GH noted, Roth ran in Colorado so times may be prejudiced by altitude.

9. Collapse Details

^ Thank you. So, yes, it would be somewhat more difficult to compare Roth's 18yo 1600/2mile altitude times to Jager's 18yo times. I think I'll just stick with the few comparables already noted and let the future take care of other possible comparisons.