Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ami 110H Doldrums
    We know events cycle in and out. We've bemoaned the depth in the m400, mLJ, mPV. Time to add the 110 Hurdles, which has been outstanding in the last few years with Oliver, Merritt, Richardson, Wilson, Porter, Ash. Certainly D Allen is a highlight this year (despite disappearing after USATF), but when Ashton Eaton and his 13.35 make the top 10 . . .
    Ash is up, but Merritt is missing, while Oliver, Wilson, Richardson and Porter have regressed. I'm going to guess it has something to do with no global meet this year, but still . . .

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Ami 110H Doldrums
    Richardson has regressed though I think part of his problem has been his coaching change. He will likely need some more time in his new system if it is to work out, just a guess.

3. Collapse Details
    We're doomed. Only half of the top-20 are Americans. The WR is held by an American. Americans dominated the top of the last three top-10 lists.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    We know events cycle in and out. We've bemoaned the depth in the m400, mLJ, mPV. Time to add the 110 Hurdles, which has been outstanding in the last few years with Oliver, Merritt, Richardson, Wilson, Porter, Ash. Certainly D Allen is a highlight this year (despite disappearing after USATF), but when Ashton Eaton and his 13.35 make the top 10 . . .
    Ash is up, but Merritt is missing, while Oliver, Wilson, Richardson and Porter have regressed. I'm going to guess it has something to do with no global meet this year, but still . . .
    There was an outstanding performance in Paris a few days ago. Is Ami some shorthand version limiting it to US athletes only?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cladthin
    Richardson has regressed though I think part of his problem has been his coaching change. He will likely need some more time in his new system if it is to work out, just a guess.
    I agree and Lawrence Johnson isn't exactly a bad choice for a hurdler to move too.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by catson52
    There was an outstanding performance in Paris a few days ago. Is Ami some shorthand version limiting it to US athletes only?
    "Ami" is French word for "friend".

So maybe he's talking about Pascal Martinot-Lagarde!! :P

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by booond
    We're doomed. Only half of the top-20 are Americans. The WR is held by an American. Americans dominated the top of the last three top-10 lists.
    That's what they said about the PV, just before Munich 1972, and you know what happened to Ami (yes, short for Murkan :twisted: ) dominance there! :shock:

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by booond
    That's what they said about the PV, just before Munich 1972, and you know what happened to Ami (yes, short for Murkan :twisted: ) dominance there! :shock:
    Why did we lose dominance in the pole vault and how does that compare to the 110 hurdles?
    Pointing at one event doesn't mean it has any relevance to the other event.

9. Collapse Details

??!!
    They are both events we have dominated historically. We didn't even lose an Oly PV till 1972. We were killing the 110H for the past couple of years, but have lost it this year. How can these two not be seen as relevant (albeit not connected, cause-and-effect-wise, other to say that the rest of the world is 'catching up') to each other? .

10. Collapse Details

How did we lose dominance in the pole vault? What were the major contributing factors?

Because until you can answer that then you can't compare the "demise" of the pole vault to the "demise" of the hurdles.