Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Rio Thoughts

1. Collapse Details
    Rio Thoughts
    After the German shellacking of the home squad today, it occurred that what little support the Olympics seem to have in Brazil is going to take a steep nosedive. I came across this from the Guardian, written several months back:

At present the talk is that if Brazil wins the cup (it is sixth in the Fifa rankings), the public may just tolerate the Olympics, but if not, “the games are dead”.

Entire long article here: http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/ ... n-disaster

There was plenty of protest regarding hosting the championships of the nation's most beloved sport. Wondering how much the inevitable backlash will further jeopardize what is already a jeopardized Olympics.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Rio Thoughts
    With this ignominious exit by Brazil, the protests against all the money spent on the World Cup can only increase, to the great detriment of the Olympic organizers!

3. Collapse Details
    Hasn't there been talk of emergency transfer of the games to London, since they have it all pretty much set up, if Brazil can't/won't come through? Am I dreaming this?
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

4. Collapse Details
    The Guardian article proposed a scaled back Olympics, using older facilities and some new ones built for the 2007 Pan American games. LA was able to host a very successful and profitable Olympics using existing facilities for the most part; this alternative may be Brazil's best chance to keep the Olympics in Rio. At least the track stadium is in place, albeit with some major roof repairs and expansion from 46,000 to 60,000 seats as part of the planned remodel. London seems to be ready, but would the IOC want to hold two Olympics in a row in the same city?

Then there's this spin from just a few hours ago: Successful World Cup has IOC optimistic about 2016 Rio Olympics http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-di ... 51629.html

And the counter from a July 4 article in the NYT: “If Brazil wins the World Cup, I think all sins will be forgotten,” said Luiz Carlos, a 26-year-old from São Paulo, who was at the Maracanã on Friday. “For our president, Dilma, and the government, it will be perfect. But if Brazil loses, I think it could be a real mess. I think people will take to the streets and protest.”

Nice to be able to relive Athens and in only 12 years.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74
    Hasn't there been talk of emergency transfer of the games to London, since they have it all pretty much set up, if Brazil can't/won't come through? Am I dreaming this?
    They're already reconfiguring the stadium in London, whether for other meets; whether for the 2017 World Champs or exclusively for football (club, international, Barclays League or otherwise), I don't know. And if I'm not mistaken, haven't they already dismantled a few Olympic venues there?

In any case, I can't see them holding the Olympics in the same city twice straight.

If I'm not mistaken, Madrid finished 2nd in the 2009 vote for the 2016 Olympics. But Spain is in a deep depression (25% unemployment) and couldn't possibly afford it. Tokyo, which finished 3rd, just got the 2020 Olympics.

Is Chicago (4th in the vote) even ready, should the IOC decide to move the 2016 Olympics?

If I were on the board, and I wanted to play truth-or-dare, I'd give it to South Africa. Based on what I saw (from ESPN), the 2010 World Cup looked like a big success there. I hope they're not still paying for it. Do they even have facilities already capable of holding events there, besides the football arenas?

Needless to say, yesterday's semifinal was a disaster for Brazil. I'll bet good horse money that people are starting to question their place among the super-elite in the football world.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta

Is Chicago (4th in the vote) even ready, should the IOC decide to move the 2016 Olympics??
    :lol: :lol: :!:

I think I know the answer, and it rhymes with Smell Toe.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kuha

Is Chicago (4th in the vote) even ready, should the IOC decide to move the 2016 Olympics??

Well those pay for play clowns should have given it to us in the first place

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee

I doubt Chicago could be ready that quickly; LA still has a lot of venues remaining from 1984 and would probably be the more logical choice if they could sell the populace on the idea.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce3404
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee

I doubt Chicago could be ready that quickly; LA still has a lot of venues remaining from 1984 and would probably be the more logical choice if they could sell the populace on the idea.
    True...we could never pull it off at this point. Chicago would have been a great alternate choice, despite the negative news surrounding gang violence(in small areas in our big city). The employment demands would have created so many needed jobs