Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Hobby Lobby's new ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Ryerson
    Quote Originally Posted by pickle47
    From where I'm sitting, the world pretty much looks pro-everything-but-Christian. Pretty sure the founding fathers didn't intend for the rest of the country to shove all the Christians into a corner and tell them to shut up.
    No one's telling anyone to shut up. Rather, don't use your religion as a basis for legislation.
    The ironic thing about that comment is that the mandate the Supreme Court invalidated for Hobby Lobby was not in the ObamaCare legislation. It would not have passed otherwise because a handful of pro-life Democrats would not have voted for it. Instead, after ObamaCare passed, the Administration unilaterally enacted a regulation with the mandate. The Supreme Court ruled that the regulation could not be applied in this instance. The Administration could not make it up as it goes along - at least as regards Hobby Lobby.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    The anti-everything-but-Christian sentiment appalls me.
    From where I'm sitting, the world pretty much looks pro-everything-but-Christian. Pretty sure the founding fathers didn't intend for the rest of the country to shove all the Christians into a corner and tell them to shut up.
    This is as absurd a stance as (white) men who say they are a persecuted class.

3. Collapse Details
    The anti-everything-but-Christian sentiment appalls me.
    Maybe you should consider moving to one of the Bible belt states. You would feel much more comfortable there. :wink:

4. Collapse Details
    This was in my paper today, and I must admit, it chafed me mightily:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/assets/pdf/ho ... /2013i.pdf

The misinformation here astounds me. Whatever happened to American trust in 'Freedom of Religion'? The anti-everything-but-Christian sentiment appalls me.
    90% of hobby lobby's shit is made in China, the home of State sponsored forced abortions.

5. Collapse Details
    Now the corporations are people, the legality of limited liability needs to disappear. They need to be liable for all actions a speech under the exact same contraints on non-corporate people, without government protections that give them super-rights and create a special class of persons.

6. Collapse Details
    There was a very interesting Letter to the Editor in the New York Times right after the decision. It pointed out how Hobby Lobby does lots of business with China in spite of its policy toward one child per family and forced abortions.

7. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    no idea if the claim is true, but this was in a letter to the editor in my local yesterday:

<<… However, neither piece mentions that the Hobby Lobby owners' religious beliefs don't prohibit their investing $73 million of employee pension money in mutual funds that include companies who manufacture the very contraceptive pills and IUDs to which they so strenuously object to as abortifacients…>>

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2
    The First Amendment covers both Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech. If corporations are persons for one, they are for the other. If you want media companies to be free to make want ever films, editorials or books they wish, then you have to be consistent. Either corporations and their owners have rights or they don't.

Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion.

Non-Christians have rights too.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee
    90% of hobby lobby's shit is made in China, the home of State sponsored forced abortions.
    So ironic, isn't it?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE
    There was a very interesting Letter to the Editor in the New York Times right after the decision. It pointed out how Hobby Lobby does lots of business with China in spite of its policy toward one child per family and forced abortions.
    So are you saying that if someone disagrees with the policy of a country's government, it should not do business with any companies in that country?