Facts, Not Fiction

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: "free" speech reigns again...
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    Are you telling me that your parents "allowed" you to play around with matches and lighters, or did you do it when they weren't looking and got in trouble for it when they found out what you did?
    Are you really that interested in my upbringing or is this supposed to be some major point about (ir)responsibility? I was allowed to play with small firecrackers (called ladyfingers) - they were legal. I'd use my mom's lighter, set up battle scenes with my little green army soldiers (I was about 10, 1961) and throw the firecrackers at them to blow them up, so yes, my parents knew I played with the lighter. My dad also gave me a Swiss Army Knife when I was 8 that I did lots of 'dangerous' stuff with (and did indeed cut myself a few times).

Lest you think my folks were the WORST parents ever, poll the rest of the older people here and see if this was out of line for life back then. It was not. All that I did would not be allowed today - for good reason.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Lest you think my folks were the WORST parents ever, poll the rest of the older people here and see if this was out of line for life back then.
    Sorry, Marlow, but those things were definitely out of line for MY life back then. I'm sure I did not own or use a pocket knife when I was 8, nor did I play with firecrackers or cigarette lighters when I was 10.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon
    Those "good old days" saw me with a buck in my pocket and trade it in for...

a comic book 10c
    bag of chips 15c
    a coke 15c
    and a huge bag of penny candy

You could go to a walk in, watch a double feature with a cartoon, eat all the junk ya wanted and spent less than five bucks.

TV was full of Rawhide, Wanted Dead or Alive, Have Gun Will Travel, Wagon Train, the only reality shows were Big Time Wrestling, and legit sports. Did I really say reality-Big Time Wrestling

Steve "Hercules" Reeves would be a midget in todays bodybuilding world.
    Don't forget the pack of five baseball cards and a stick of gum for a nickel. Newspapers were a nickel and then went up to a dime. And the Mickey D's hamburger (15 cents), fries (a dime), and small drink (another dime). As late as the early 1970s, they were advertising "Change back from your dollar."

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    Lest you think my folks were the WORST parents ever, poll the rest of the older people here and see if this was out of line for life back then.
    Sorry, Marlow, but those things were definitely out of line for MY life back then. I'm sure I did not own or use a pocket knife when I was 8, nor did I play with firecrackers or cigarette lighters when I was 10.
    Yeah, but you grew up to be a lawyer, didn't you? Wadya expect?! :P
    I was probably the least daring member of my peer group.

5. Collapse Details
    Are you telling me that your parents "allowed" you to play around with matches and lighters, or did you do it when they weren't looking and got in trouble for it when they found out what you did?
    Are you really that interested in my upbringing or is this supposed to be some major point about (ir)responsibility? I was allowed to play with small firecrackers (called ladyfingers) - they were legal. I'd use my mom's lighter, set up battle scenes with my little green army soldiers (I was about 10, 1961) and throw the firecrackers at them to blow them up, so yes, my parents knew I played with the lighter. My dad also gave me a Swiss Army Knife when I was 8 that I did lots of 'dangerous' stuff with (and did indeed cut myself a few times).
    I was trying to be sure that you were making an apples to apples comparison, because anything you did without the consent of your parents is irrelevant to this discussion

Lest you think my folks were the WORST parents ever, poll the rest of the older people here and see if this was out of line for life back then. It was not. All that I did would not be allowed today - for good reason.
    Wait a minute here. I've been the one defending our parents for doing things the old-fashioned way, you're the one that's been throwing them under the bus.

6. Collapse Details
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    In the 1960s there was no boy whose father made more than 8k per year that didnt get a bb gun by the time he was 12.

7. Collapse Details
    In echoing what Marlow wrote, I'm "only" 40, so about a generation younger than Marlow. I consider my parents to be great parents...

BB Gun at 6.
    Firecrackers and matches/lighters were just a part of childhood. Blew up a lot of toys with them.
    Pocket Knives were carried by most boys in school. Never went without one until I left for college.
    My Police Captain uncle gave me a spring-loaded sort of switch-blade knife for my 13th birthday.
    "Latch-key child" by age 9.
    Strip mine swimming/cliff climbing without adult supervision.
    Walking/riding miles into town.
    Walking the "tracks" miles anywhere, randomly.
    Etc, etc...A childhood many here can relate to.
    Earlier I mentioned the dangerous car riding activities that others have also mentioned, and I forgot about the pickup truck travel. You wouldn't be blinked at twice for riding in the back of a pickup truck from one town to the next. We would sell ears of corn that way, or whatever else we were doing.

I grew up in a rural setting in Dairy Country, so my upbringing was typical for the area and era. I wonder if where you grew up had as much to do with some of these things as when or by whom?

Would I allow my children these days any of these "freedoms" or adventures? No way in a million years.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

8. Collapse Details
    Wait a minute here. I've been the one defending our parents for doing things the old-fashioned way, you're the one that's been throwing them under the bus.
    There's no bus to throw them under. That bus didn't exist back then, They were just normal parents. As I said, my pregnant mom smoked (coupladay) and drank wine with dinner 4 times a week. Who does that today? Only the most irresponsible women. You can't judge them by today's standards. If we did that, all our forebears were racist, sexist, homophobic pigs. Some were even slave-owners!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon
    Those "good old days" saw me with a buck in my pocket and trade it in for...

a comic book 10c
    bag of chips 15c
    a coke 15c
    and a huge bag of penny candy
    In high school (1966-69) I worked at Mr Hamburg, which tried to be a local chain to compete against McDonald's (they didn't survive long). Here were the menu prices:

Hamburger 25 cts
    Cheesburger 30 cts
    Fries 20 cts
    Small drink 10 cts
    Large drink 15 cts
    Frappe 20 cts (that's a milkshake outside of the Boston area)

Gas was about 30-35 cents/gallon. Boston Globe cost 10 cents/day

I was paid minimum wage to start - $1.60/hour. After 18 months I got a raise to $1.65/hour.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    In high school (1966-69) I worked at Mr Hamburg, which tried to be a local chain to compete against McDonald's (they didn't survive long). Here were the menu prices:
    Hamburger 25 cts
    Cheesburger 30 cts
    Fries 20 cts
    Small drink 10 cts
    Large drink 15 cts
    Frappe 20 cts (that's a milkshake outside of the Boston area)
    Gas was about 30-35 cents/gallon. Boston Globe cost 10 cents/day
    Ha! The 'back in my day' rant!
    I remember 'gas wars' where the price was 19.9 cents. McDonalds in mid-60s was under a buck for 2 hamburgers, fries, coke AND a milk shake. The food was bad but who cared - we were hungry!
    Dixon, do you remember when comics went from a dime to 12 cents? Highway robbery!
    [BYW, bb, I gradded from HS in '69 also!]