Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: "free" speech reigns again...
    Administrator
    when I was 4 years old I used to walk a mile into town for the Saturday matinee and nobody thought a thing of it. And that would include sub-freezing weather.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    when I was 4 years old I used to walk a mile into town for the Saturday matinee and nobody thought a thing of it. And that would include sub-freezing weather.
    Uphill both ways.

3. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    actually, I did walk uphill both ways to high school!

What happens when you live in a river valley and your house is on a hill one side of the river and the school is on a similar hill on the other.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    She was also the best athlete in our one room country school.
    So who else attended a one-room schoolhouse? I did, too, in the 1st grade, actually, 1957-58, but then we went upscale to a new school and had separate classes.

5. Collapse Details
    Mrs. Pego did for 5 years.

This thread is fascinating to me as I grew up in a totally different world that central Europe was, while my kids are true Merkans born in the early seventies.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

6. Collapse Details
    Random dangerous stuff I did as a kid that no parent (including me) would allow now:
    1) Nevermind no seat belts, we rode in the back of open pick up trucks whenever possible.
    2) Delivered newspapers from our bikes in neighborhoods across town, sometimes in the dark, and collected $ for subscriptions once a month going door to door.
    3) As little kids, climbed up onto the shelf below the rear window of the family sedan and used it as a bunk to lie down during long trips.
    4) By junior high age, hitchhiking to the beach (7-8 miles away) wearing nothing but baggy shorts and t-shirt (no shoes) with a dollar for a soda and some junk food.
    5) Annual camping trip with Boy Scout troop to Calico Ghost Town area where we would spend all day exploring dozens of abandoned, century-old mines with minimal adult supervision.

7. Collapse Details
    I gotta think that if some of you folks' kids and grandkids read this thread, they would have steam coming out of their ears over what hypocrites you are.

"Don't do as I did, do as I say."

8. Collapse Details
    Those "good old days" saw me with a buck in my pocket and trade it in for...

a comic book 10c
    bag of chips 15c
    a coke 15c
    and a huge bag of penny candy

You could go to a walk in, watch a double feature with a cartoon, eat all the junk ya wanted and spent less than five bucks.

TV was full of Rawhide, Wanted Dead or Alive, Have Gun Will Travel, Wagon Train, the only reality shows were Big Time Wrestling, and legit sports. Did I really say reality-Big Time Wrestling

Steve "Hercules" Reeves would be a midget in todays bodybuilding world.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    I gotta think that if some of you folks' kids and grandkids read this thread, they would have steam coming out of their ears over what hypocrites you are.
    "Don't do as I did, do as I say."
    That makes no sense.
    Times change. Attitudes change.
    I was 'allowed' to do dangerous things, so I'm supposed to let my kids do dangerous things?
    My pre-pubescent pyromania started two mini-forest fires (coupla trees, but it was dumb luck it was that contained). I used my mother's lighter that was on the front table every day. We don't even have a lighter or matches where our grandchildren could get to them.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    That makes no sense.
    Times change. Attitudes change.
    I was 'allowed' to do dangerous things, so I'm supposed to let my kids do dangerous things?
    My pre-pubescent pyromania started two mini-forest fires (coupla trees, but it was dumb luck it was that contained). I used my mother's lighter that was on the front table every day. We don't even have a lighter or matches where our grandchildren could get to them.
    Are you telling me that your parents "allowed" you to play around with matches and lighters, or did you do it when they weren't looking and got in trouble for it when they found out what you did?