Facts, Not Fiction

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: "free" speech reigns again...
    This is from the top of my head, but it's my understanding that murder rates, teen pregnancy, and even mass shootings were worse in decades past...including the "good old days" of most of our youths in the 50s-80s. I think our parents just took a different approach. Most of us escaped unscathed, and I do agree that "running in packs" helped a lot of us escape from danger.
    Oh, and which of us over 35-40 wore a seat belt before age 15? I remember trips in the back hatch of station wagons, back windows of cars, basically wherever one could set up shop and play.

We remember these days fondly only because we survived them!

Bob Duncan...yes! That's one thing I don't understand, either. As a kid I would have hated my parents at any practice of mine. What's this all about? My wife and I make it a point to let our kids' extracurriculars be a time away from us where they can breathe and get to the bottom of who they are without meddling adults.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

2. Collapse Details
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74
    This is from the top of my head, but it's my understanding that murder rates, teen pregnancy, and even mass shootings were worse in decades past...including the "good old days" of most of our youths in the 50s-80s. .
    The numbers I would like to see tracked are the following rates:

1) murder rate and violent offender incarceration rate

2a) teen pregnancy rate without marriage within a year
    2b) teen pregnancy on welfare rate

(ie if two teens can work for a living with only a HS diploma or less, get married in their own town without BAs at the Univ. and have kids and raise a family that would be considered a very good thing.

3) mass shootings / 1000 citizens.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure mass shootings were worse in the "good old days." According to wikipedia, there have been 31 school shootings this year. We may be more sensitive to this phenomena and the generality of classification may be too broad but my guess is that this is an explosion of mass shootings that we've never seen in our history... and this doesn't include any other type of mass shooting - postal, workplace, family picnic, etc.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    I'm not sure where you going with this. Are you implying that our parents were less responsible back in those days when they let us roam the streets freely from dawn to dusk?
    Our parents let us roam free for the same reason that my mom drank wine when she was pregnant with me (splains alot doan it?) - no one gave it a second thought; it was 'normal'.

Would you let your young daughter disappear for an entire day, no cell phone, no clue where she was? Of course not.
    After giving this question some thought, it hit me that I don't recall girls roaming the streets the way boys did when I was growing up. Maybe girls by nature aren't as adventurist as boys, or maybe parents kept a watchful eye on their daughter even back in the good ole days, but I don't think little girls ever moved as freely as little boys even back in the day.

5. Collapse Details
    I agree with Jazz that in my childhood, mainly in the 70s, girls weren't part of the mix. Mostly because they weren't doing or interested in what we were doing - playing baseball, riding bikes, etc. I'm not sure if they did as much roaming. However, once we were into our mid-teens (14,15) they were down the park hanging out during the day and into the evening.

My parents thought nothing of letting me go into Boston - a 30 minute train ride - to watch the Red Sox when I was 12 with friends. They did the same when they were little.

6. Collapse Details
    Jazz is right. Little girls have always been better supervised and rightly so.

In my childhood stomping grounds, it was not an item. Houses were about a mile apart. Within a three mile radius there was only one girl near my age, or any age, for that matter and she was protected by the biggest, baddest brother around. She was also the best athlete in our one room country school.
    Our houses were only about a mile apart but in different school districts so we attended high schools about 20 miles apart. I did not see her again for nearly forty years until she, with her girlfriend, showed up to show me a house.

7. Collapse Details
    My sister roamed as far and free as I did. She'd ride her bike 4 miles to a friend's house or they'd go 5 miles in aother direction to the shopping center. She did NOT let her daughter do that.

8. Collapse Details
    Did we have fewer nut jobs 40 years ago?

Were abductions less frequent/less reported?

Has the news media inflamed behavior - parental/pedophile?

9. Collapse Details
    Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles
    Quote Originally Posted by booond

I wanna make sure I acknowledge the fact to life has got much better for minorities, gays, the mentally handicapped and women.

I believe that most suicidal kids/bullied- a generation ago never considered going to school and shooting students and teachers. Why the change? I think we have created kids who feel entitled and who are complete narcissists, and they all want to be famous. If you can't get be famous for doing something good........ :twisted:
    phsstt!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUACKEE
    Quote Originally Posted by booond

I wanna make sure I acknowledge the fact to life has got much better for minorities, gays, the mentally handicapped and women.

I believe that most suicidal kids/bullied- a generation ago never considered going to school and shooting students and teachers. Why the change? I think we have created kids who feel entitled and who are complete narcissists, and they all want to be famous. If you can't get be famous for doing something good........ :twisted:
    Because Internet discussions always take circuitous routes, I'll remind everyone that the discussion of the "good old days" began as a comment for why people wanted to continue running the mile instead of the 1500/1600.