Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: "free" speech reigns again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    I'm not sure where you going with this. Are you implying that our parents were less responsible back in those days when they let us roam the streets freely from dawn to dusk?
    Our parents let us roam free for the same reason that my mom drank wine when she was pregnant with me (splains alot doan it?) - no one gave it a second thought; it was 'normal'.

Would you let your young daughter disappear for an entire day, no cell phone, no clue where she was? Of course not.

Have we safety-proofed the world TOO much for our kids now? All you have to do is talk to ONE parent who lost her child out of this sort of 'neglect' and you have your answer. Things have changed for the better, but not necessarily for the funner.
    You can't run the world or your life by the worst that can happen scenario or you'd never cross the street.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2
    Except whenever we have an elite high school race, they more often than not choose the mile over the 1600m. Maybe we need a new ship or it should come back to port. :wink:
    You just proved my point. It's only brought out on a 'ceremonial' basis.
    That ship, like the USS Arizona, is a great remembrance of the . . . past.
    I bet the participants in an elite mile after they finish know they were not in a mere ceremony.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by booond
    I'm not sure where you going with this. Are you implying that our parents were less responsible back in those days when they let us roam the streets freely from dawn to dusk?
    Our parents let us roam free for the same reason that my mom drank wine when she was pregnant with me (splains alot doan it?) - no one gave it a second thought; it was 'normal'.

Would you let your young daughter disappear for an entire day, no cell phone, no clue where she was? Of course not.

Have we safety-proofed the world TOO much for our kids now? All you have to do is talk to ONE parent who lost her child out of this sort of 'neglect' and you have your answer. Things have changed for the better, but not necessarily for the funner.
    You can't run the world or your life by the worst that can happen scenario or you'd never cross the street.
    Maybe...but I call what I do (eating healthy, exercising, being more vigilant with my girls than parents were with older generations) "hedging my bets". You can't be afraid of everything, but I "hedge my bets" where I see fit, to reduce what I consider bigger risks.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by booond
    ALL the safety precautions in the world are there because of the 'worst that can happen scenarios', from car airbags to safety belts to literally thousands of things in our daily lives. The question is - where to draw the line - maybe motorcycle helmets? When it comes to the welfare of our children, 'better to safe than sorry' runs many of our lives.

5. Collapse Details

That sounds like a yes. I wonder what's lonewolf's take on this since he's closer to your parents' generation (he's actually older than my parents) than he is to your's, and presumbly raised his kids the "old fashioned way".

6. Collapse Details
    raised his kids the "old fashioned way".
    The old-fashioned way was much more dangerous than today's parenting allows. I find that to be a good thing, despite the loss of 'daring'. And yes, he let his kids do things he would not let his grandkids do. So did/do I.

7. Collapse Details
    Baby boomers, like me, were free to do a lot of things as kids that would drive modern parents to life-threatening anxiety attacks or to the phone to dial 911 several times a day.
    We'd head off on bikes all day long for parts unknown. As long as we were home for dinner no one was concerned. BUT, we always had the luxury of being in the company of a mob of kids who could, to some degree, watch out for one another or at least run for help if something untoward might happen. My brother-in-law, and his baseball nut friends, would ride bikes several miles through south-central LA to attend minor league games, then home again. Most of us lived through it all... but the world seemed a much more cordial place in those times or else we and our parents were all simply oblivious to danger.

As for the Free Speech Day, there were several threads that clearly demonstrated why unrestrained expression here should only be allowed once a year!!! Threads in truly breathtaking bad taste and lots of others which immediately devolved into "My opinions and expertise are superior to yours so you are an idiot who should shut up" mode.
    With a little help from the moderators and the heavy hand of GH, most of us here manage to maintain at least some modicum of civility the rest of the year.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jhc68
    most of us here manage to maintain at least some modicum of civility the rest of the year.
    though some of us get a little testy from time to time . . .

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jhc68
    Baby boomers, like me, were free to do a lot of things as kids that would drive modern parents to life-threatening anxiety attacks or to the phone to dial 911 several times a day.
    We'd head off on bikes all day long for parts unknown. As long as we were home for dinner no one was concerned.
    Hear, hear! This is something which kids today can never experience. I grew up in Atlanta and it was normal to do these things. In fact, the parents usually kicked us out of the house and didn't expect us back until dinnertime. I seldom see kids out roaming around these days, they're all in their privacy-fence protected environs, on the web, or else chapparoned to the hilt in attending their sports/whatever practices. And it seems that the parents always go to the practices and suffer some kind of guilt if they do not. Hell, when I was a kid, we didn't WANT our parents to go to the practices and by the way we usually rode our bikes and didn't need to be driven. And we actually organized our own sandlot ballgames without the need of having supervision. How do the kids learn those kinds of "skills" today?

We have ceded our communities to the wreckless drivers and criminals who don't give a damn about having a safe neighborhood for the kids. If I were a parent today, I guess I'd be pretty over-protective as well but it is a sad thing to see.

Read G. Gordon Liddy's book When I Was A Kid, This Was A Free Country.
    http://www.amazon.com/When-Was-This-...liddy+g+gordon

10. Collapse Details
    [
    That sounds like a yes. I wonder what's lonewolf's take on this since he's closer to your parents' generation (he's actually older than my parents) than he is to your's, and presumbly raised his kids the "old fashioned way".
    I was a pre--teen/teenager in rural western Oklahoma in the late 30s-early 40s, which has no correlation to todays urban society. We roamed for miles, riding our horses eight miles to the Red River to swim unsupervised, handling teams of horses in circumstances that would put OSHA in cardiac arrest, and operating tractors and farm implements as soon as we could reach the pedals.
    I don't recall that anyone feared for our safety.. just as long as we got home in time to milk cows.

My kids were raised in the 50s and 60s in close -knit communities in big city suburbs... less opportunity for wide free ranging . We we were not fearful of human predators.. but I would not have put my 11 year old son behind a four horse hitch, standing on a 2x12 wired to a two-section flat drag spiked harrow.

My older grandkids, raised in a college town in the 80s-90s were largely unrestricted ...with, I believe, little apprehension about their safety.

My younger grandkids, now 10 and 13, are being raised in a gated community in suburban OKC. they range the 160 acre development but do not walk the one mile to school and their mother cautions them about safety.

The differences in environments call for different levels of caution...I have been fortunate to live in relatively safe environments but I am more concerned about child safety now than in the'good old days.'

BTW, I agree with Squack that those were good days regarading child safety..not always so great economically...but standards were different then too.