Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: "free" speech reigns again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    The mile ... That ship, like the USS Arizona, is a great remembrance of the . . . past.
    Marlow, you're one of my favorite posters on this board, along with jazzcyclist and lonewolf, but that is a very inappropriate analogy. People lie dead at the bottom of Pearl Harbour beneath that ship. I hardly think that is comparable to the mile/1600 debate in any way.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    The mile ... That ship, like the USS Arizona, is a great remembrance of the . . . past.
    Marlow, you're one of my favorite posters on this board, along with jazzcyclist and lonewolf, but that is a very inappropriate analogy. People lie dead at the bottom of Pearl Harbour beneath that ship. I hardly think that is comparable to the mile/1600 debate in any way.
    When you put it that way, you are correct. Poor analogy at best. Mia apologia.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by booond
    Either that or we have a lot of people longing for "the good old days."
    If anyone ever examined exactly what life was back in the good old days, for EVERYone, even 40 years back, NO ONE would long for them. Despite all that's wrong with the world, every day we take one step forward. The internet and instantaneous communication keeps that progress going.
    My favorite Life Is Good shirt tells the truth: "These Are the Good Old Days".

See, this is truth. That's almost my exact philosophy. My wife and I talk about that a lot. The "good ol' days". For who? Until very recently in American history the good old days were probably only really good for White males. Marlow nails it. Every day we (at least have the chance) to take one step forward.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

4. Collapse Details
    Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74
    Quote Originally Posted by booond
    Either that or we have a lot of people longing for "the good old days."
    If anyone ever examined exactly what life was back in the good old days, for EVERYone, even 40 years back, NO ONE would long for them. Despite all that's wrong with the world, every day we take one step forward. The internet and instantaneous communication keeps that progress going.
    My favorite Life Is Good shirt tells the truth: "These Are the Good Old Days".

See, this is truth. That's almost my exact philosophy. My wife and I talk about that a lot. The "good ol' days". For who? Until very recently in American history the good old days were probably only really good for White males. Marlow nails it. Every day we (at least have the chance) to take one step forward.
    I generally agree although a few things were better, music for one and the freedom we had as kids. I was 9 and on a 50 mile JFK inspired hike with my brothers at 4 am when a cop found us.The cop called the parents and they told him, "Oh yes they are doing a 50 mile hike to Half Moon Bay and back." Today my parents would be charged with child abuse!

I would leave the house in the morning with my brother and be gone all day, no worries. Also children without the internet played outside more.

My dad was a High School teacher and bought a brand new house in a good neighborhood with a down payment equal to one months pay.
    phsstt!

5. Collapse Details
    [quote=Ned Ryerson][quote="Bob Duncan":nrlesgpj]And what is that old saying... if you're under 30 and not a liberal you don't have a heart and if you're older and not a conservative, you don't have a brain![/quote]
    So said François Guizot. And it was 25 and 35.[/quote:nrlesgpj]
    Wiki sez it was 20 and 30.
    [quote]Guizot is famous as the originator of the quote "Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head".[/quote]
    [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Guizot"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Guizot[/url]

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUACKEE
    I generally agree although a few things were better, music for one and the freedom we had as kids. I was 9 and on a 50 mile JFK inspired hike with my brothers at 4 am when a cop found us.The cop called the parents and they told him, "Oh yes they are doing a 50 mile hike to Half Moon Bay and back." Today my parents would be charged with child abuse!
    It wasn't just 9-year old kids. When I was a teen-ager, I occasionally hitchhiked on non-urban roads and highways, both before and after dark. I can't imagine doing that today at any hour or place.

7. Collapse Details
    I generally agree although a few things were better, music for one and the freedom we had as kids. I was 9 and on a 50 mile JFK inspired hike with my brothers at 4 am when a cop found us.
    And why would you NOT let your grandson do that? Because there are real dangers out there.
    I too roamed free all day Saturday and loved it, But no, my grandson may not do that.
    I submit this as another case of things not being better back then.
    That said, one thing HAS gotten worse. I do not believe we had all the school (and other) shootings back then . . . but that's a subject for the next 'Free Speech' 4th of July. :evil:

8. Collapse Details

I would leave the house in the morning with my brother and be gone all day, no worries. Also children without the internet played outside more.

My dad was a High School teacher and bought a brand new house in a good neighborhood with a down payment equal to one months pay.
    Good points! These are things about the good ole days that I think we can all agree on.

9. Collapse Details
    I generally agree although a few things were better, music for one and the freedom we had as kids. I was 9 and on a 50 mile JFK inspired hike with my brothers at 4 am when a cop found us.
    And why would you NOT let your grandson do that? Because there are real dangers out there.
    I too roamed free all day Saturday and loved it, But no, my grandson may not do that.
    I submit this as another case of things not being better back then.
    I'm not sure where you going with this. Are you implying that our parents were less responsible back in those days when they let us roam the streets freely from dawn to dusk?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    I'm not sure where you going with this. Are you implying that our parents were less responsible back in those days when they let us roam the streets freely from dawn to dusk?
    Our parents let us roam free for the same reason that my mom drank wine when she was pregnant with me (splains alot doan it?) - no one gave it a second thought; it was 'normal'.

Would you let your young daughter disappear for an entire day, no cell phone, no clue where she was? Of course not.

Have we safety-proofed the world TOO much for our kids now? All you have to do is talk to ONE parent who lost her child out of this sort of 'neglect' and you have your answer. Things have changed for the better, but not necessarily for the funner.