Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    "free" speech reigns again...
    Administrator
    as we do annually, we have opened the special July 4 forum, in which you are indeed free to talk about politics and religion.

this brief moment of freedom, as always, does NOT confer the right to be crude or sexist, to launch ad hominem attacks on other posters or raise unfounded drug speculation.

So, unless you're the kind who wants to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, enjoy!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: "free" speech reigns again...
    I'm using the opportunity to let out all my pent-up anger and frustration...please shut me up if I go too far!
    8-)
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

3. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    and in case anybody missed the "special forum" part of my initial post there, that means you can discuss topics there you couldn't normally; nothing changes on the regular forums.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    So, unless you're the kind who wants to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, enjoy!
    You may not realize this, but you are slightly misquoting Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., who first made the comment about yelling "fire" in a theater. In 1919, in the landmark free speech case Schenck vs. United States, he said:

The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic.
    The key word is "falsely". If there actually is a fire in a crowded theater, yelling "fire" is a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

5. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    allow me to slightly misquote Shakespeare: kill all the lawyers

6. Collapse Details
    :lol: Best comeback ever!
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

7. Collapse Details
    Every year I vow not to even open Free Speech.. and every year I fail to keep my resolution.

This forum does nothing but create ill will among otherwise mostly compatible people with a common interest (track). It profits me nothing if I vent my opinions and I doubt anyone changes his/her opinon as a result of posts on this forum.

I puzzles me how reasonably intelligent, informed people living and experiencing the same sequence of events can have such diverse opinions..

I do believe it has moderated in recent years with fewer gratuitous attacks on things I agree with.. will check after I go do this family July 4 thing.

8. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    I may be wrong, but my quick runs through there today have generally been postings that would be acceptable here on a day-to-day basis.

the most "virulent" thread is probably open on the regular Things Not Track forum.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    This forum does nothing but create ill will among otherwise mostly compatible people with a common interest (track). It profits me nothing if I vent my opinions and I doubt anyone changes his/her opinon as a result of posts on this forum.
    How can you say that?! You and I are opposite sides of the political spectrum and we like each other a lot.
    I take these kinds of 'debates' as nothing more than fluff entertainment!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    I puzzles me how reasonably intelligent, informed people living and experiencing the same sequence of events can have such diverse opinions..
    This amazes me. Other than here, do you spend all your time with folks who already agree with you on everything? I know I don't.