Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Only in Berkeley
    http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2 ... keley.html

If a new proposal passes a final City Council vote next week in Berkeley, California, poor and low-income medical marijuana users in the city will no longer have to worry about how to afford their next high.

The Berkeley City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to change its laws to require marijuana dispensaries to give 2 percent of the amount of cannabis they sell each year to low-income medical users for free.

The 2 percent would have to be the same quality of medical marijuana a dispensary would sell to paying customers.

The change in rules would also allow Berkeley to open another dispensary, bringing the city’s total number to four.

“Basically, the City Council wants to make sure that low-income, homeless, indigent folks have access to their medical marijuana, their medicine,” Berkeley City Council Member Darryl Moore told CBS San Francisco.

“We think this is the responsible thing to do for those less fortunate in our community,” Moore added.

The fourth dispensary would also help the city meet its growing demand for medical marijuana.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Only in Berkeley
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    "the City Council wants to make sure that low-income, homeless, indigent folks have access to their medical marijuana, their medicine,”
    “We think this is the responsible thing to do for those less fortunate in our community,” Moore added.
    Of COURSE you do! You're from Berkeley!

3. Collapse Details
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    "the City Council wants to make sure that low-income, homeless, indigent folks have access to their medical marijuana, their medicine,”
    Of COURSE you do! You're from Berkeley!
    sure beats providing them with homes.

4. Collapse Details
    Medical marijuana is such a crock. I'm all for it being legal everywhere for responsible adults, but people referring to it as medicine are just being intellectually dishonest.

Also, I have no idea why it's on any anti-Doping list.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott
    Also, I have no idea why it's on any anti-Doping list.
    Many meds on the WADA proscribed list have no medical evidence of being performance enhancing in well-controlled medical studies.

6. Collapse Details
    I will never understand the thing with pot, it's ridiculous..if... alcohol is legal. Who doesn't know how much more dangerous a bottle of whiskey is from a bag of weed? It's crazy!

Pot ain't nothing, it's not worth the effort.

7. Collapse Details
    Medical marijuana is such a crock.
    I'm not sure that's totally true although I never had to deal with it to any degree in orthopaedics. Pego, Dr Jay - what's your opinion? I have heard it works well for some people with seizure disorders, Pego??

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    I'm not sure that's totally true although I never had to deal with it to any degree in orthopaedics. Pego, Dr Jay - what's your opinion? I have heard it works well for some people with seizure disorders, Pego??
    Random google hit:

Quote Originally Posted by epilepsycolorado.org
    In countries where medical use of marijuana is legal, a number of people with epilepsy report beneficial effects from using marijuana, including a decrease in seizure activity. Those who promote the medical use of marijuana often include treatment of epilepsy in the long list of disorders for which marijuana is supposed to be helpful. In fact, multiple states now have laws allowing the prescription of marijuana for the treatment of epilepsy.
    There is, however, very little scientific literature to back up these claims. . . There is currently limited scientific data to support the use of marijuana in the treatment of epilepsy in humans.
    This is also what I found for other medical uses including glaucoma, where other treatments seem to be more beneficial. I think the jury is still out.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    I have a hard time believing that inhaling hot smoke into your lungs can ever be a good thing for the body. I know that marinol is available, and that seems to be a better option for general health rather than just attacking symptoms.

From everything I've read and heard, it seems like a placebo that people really believe in for most conditions it's "prescribed" for.