Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Tyson thursday?!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelp1
    but his punishment was deliberately reduced for no good reason to suit the USA track authorities and all fans throughout the world know it to be true
    What in the USADA's report makes you think that?

2. Collapse Details
    I'm a traveller of both time and space to be where I have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietmar239
    That's not what was intimated in the post above. When would he be permitted to run a "screamer" without us looking at him side ways? Are we saying that with a longer and therefore more just punishment that it would be easier to accept fast races from him? Not trying to start a storm here, just asking for clarification.
    The main point of my posts are bewilderment and bemusement, with a lot of frustration, as to why anyone would want to see a proven cheat back in amazing form first race back from their ban. Yes I want longer bans. I dont want to see cheats return in amazing form as it suggests they may still be dirty. But nowhere have I said a longer ban means I am more likely to accept if he came back in decent form, where on earth did you get that from?

I personally would rather returning cheats never perform at their pre ban level ever again. Of course, for some cheats they may have taken drugs before their natural peak, and who knows, perhaps post ban, at their natural peak,they could match their PED peak. But we'll never know that, and as these are people who have been proven to cheat, I feel I have every right to take their performances with a pinch of salt and yes, for me, they are forever tainted. That is just my opinion.

My personal feelings aside, Gay has had a relatively small amount of time 'off', so, whereas Gatlin took a while to reach form after his 4 year ban, Gay should get back into his form (be that natural or otherwise) much quicker. However, we are all aware of Gay's injury woes, and he is nearly 32, so this will be an uphill struggle for him. I am sure though, if he wants to, he will do what is necessary to get back into 9.8-9.9 form at least. If he wants to.
    I guess that's what's confusing to me is that you accept that he's back, under the rules, but in your mind, he cannot run a fast time ever again without your disdain. That's pretty harsh, to me. Why would we ever NOT want someone to come back in amazing form?? As you stated, you're entitled to your opinion and I respect that.
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella
    Then to add to that, some posters are wetting their pants at the thought of a Gay, Gatlin, Powell clash. I mean, really? Is this what we have come to; hyping up the return of all these frauds? Some of you are either very young, blindly patriotic or just don't care about any sense of fair play.
    I'm curious; do you see Gatlin, Gay and Powell as being equal frauds?
    Regards,
    toyracer

4. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    OK, so as this thread prepares to move away from Current Events, I'm (sigh) compelled to note that we have this same elemental argument over and over several times a year and every time it's the same people on each side of the argument saying the same old thing.

Setting aside that there can be a bit of jingoistic factor that comes into play, can't we just agree that we're having a pointless discussion about "religion"?

When people believe so strongly in something, I equate it to religion.

To me, it seems obvious that there are some people whose upbringing/culture treats the concept of "fair play" as about as high on the list of reasons to watch sport as possible. And there those on the other side who simply don't place as much importance on it. And ne'er shall the twain meet.

In other words, don't cock up threads about competition with philosophical meanderings, please.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    and I've talked to enough to "know" that that's simply not true.

And think of the empirical evidence: why is that so many of the bustees when they come back can't duplicate their previous form?
    Drug cheats in sport could benefit 'for decades', scientists find
    By Tom Fordyce
    "If you exercise, or take anabolic steroids, you get more nuclei and you get bigger muscles. If you take away the steroids, you lose the muscle mass, but the nuclei remain inside the muscle fibres."

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bushop View Post
    If you take away the steroids, you lose the muscle mass, but the nuclei remain inside the muscle fibres."
    I didn't know the science, but that's what I've always believed. When a certain Eastern Bloc SPer returned after a bust, better than ever, I assumed the residual effect was still there (that, or he had just gotten cleverer in beating tests).