Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Tyson thursday?!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBaroo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella
    I sure hope he comes out with a screamer.
    Can I ask why?
    I've met him. He was humble and kind.
    When he was caught, he didn't whine and moan about "being tricked'. He simply said he trusted someone he shouldn't have. To me, that's about as honest, upstanding and forthright as we've seen.
    I'll never forget the pall that came over the stadium the moment Tyson pulled up in the 200 heats at the 2008 OT's. Been wishing him well since them.
    And ultimately, if he runs a "screamer" it'll confirm his natural talents vs whatever it was he was taking/rubbing on before.

Just one man's opinion.
    I thought a much simpler answer would have been fans usually like fast races...

2. Collapse Details
    I sure hope he comes out with a screamer.
    Can I ask why?
    I've met him. He was humble and kind.
    When he was caught, he didn't whine and moan about "being tricked'. He simply said he trusted someone he shouldn't have. To me, that's about as honest, upstanding and forthright as we've seen.
    I'll never forget the pall that came over the stadium the moment Tyson pulled up in the 200 heats at the 2008 OT's. Been wishing him well since them.
    And ultimately, if he runs a "screamer" it'll confirm his natural talents vs whatever it was he was taking/rubbing on before.

Just one man's opinion.
    Here's another man's opinion: When I first heard that he tested positive, I had things to say about his quack (who, I hope, is no longer associated with him). But then I had this other thought: It was hardly about running fast enough to stay within a step of Bolt (he ran 9.71 and 9.69 in 2009) or beating Bolt (because he did that in 2010), or anyone else for that matter. It was more about him being easily susceptible to injuries, and I would bet his injuries in 2011, and possibly 2012 (though he ran 9.80, he didn't exactly look 100% to me), were the straws that broke the camel's back. Whether he deliberately got dirty or his quack gave it to him (to help him recover from his injuries more quickly and possibly to prevent the onset of another), I'm still having trouble following the sequence of events.

3. Collapse Details
    And ultimately, if he runs a "screamer" it'll confirm his natural talents vs whatever it was he was taking/rubbing on before. Just one man's opinion.
    Are you saying PEDs/steroids don't improve an athletes performance then? Or just not in Gay's case? You're also making some assumptions about his conduct post ban. One cannot assume an athlete will come back clean, or dirty.
    I've talked to enough PED users to be convinced that the benefits of PEDs stay with the athlete for life... once dirty, always dirty.

4. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    and I've talked to enough to "know" that that's simply not true.

And think of the empirical evidence: why is that so many of the bustees when they come back can't duplicate their previous form?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    and I've talked to enough to "know" that that's simply not true.
    And think of the empirical evidence: why is that so many of the bustees when they come back can't duplicate their previous form?
    The one (perhaps) event that I think PED use can help, even after being off the juice for a while, is the Shot Put. Once you've gotten the muscle mass, and the body has endured the loads it was subjected to, I think the residual effect is significant. Not so sure about the sprints and, as I understand it, once you're off EPO for the distances, you have almost zero residual effect.

6. Collapse Details
    Substantial assistance....any day now.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    and I've talked to enough to "know" that that's simply not true. And think of the empirical evidence: why is that so many of the bustees when they come back can't duplicate their previous form?
    Not duplicate their top PED enhanced performances, but they think they don't go to what they would've been if they'd never used.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee
    So says the lady who glorifies the athletes from the former Eastern Bloc.

Talk about selective righteousness :roll:
    Not at all. I don't 'glorify' the former eastern bloc, I just enjoyed the 80's which was when I first got into athletics. It's no different to those of you who reminisce about the 50's and 60's, when PED use was rife. And besides, there is a difference between athletes being fed drugs unknowingly from when they were teenagers in a totalitarian society with little control over their everyday lives to someone who very well knows the rules. Anyway, we're on about Tyson Gay here, not the GDR.

I personally believe that long term PED use does leave some benefit, but it's not quantifiable.

If Gay comes back in blazing form, what does it tell us? I don't like his lenient ban, but I accept he is returning under the rules. However, in no way would I want him to return with "a screamer". Why anyone would want a convicted doper to come back in the same form they were in when they were doped is beyond me. It doesn't tell me they were a brilliant natural talent, it tells me they're still on something. Or else PEDs are useless, which we know isn't true.

Then to add to that, some posters are wetting their pants at the thought of a Gay, Gatlin, Powell clash. I mean, really? Is this what we have come to; hyping up the return of all these frauds? Some of you are either very young, blindly patriotic or just don't care about any sense of fair play.

9. Collapse Details
    I personally believe that long term PED use does leave some benefit, but it's not quantifiable.
    Agreed.

10. Collapse Details
    I'm a traveller of both time and space to be where I have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee
    So says the lady who glorifies the athletes from the former Eastern Bloc.

Talk about selective righteousness :roll:
    Not at all. I don't 'glorify' the former eastern bloc, I just enjoyed the 80's which was when I first got into athletics. It's no different to those of you who reminisce about the 50's and 60's, when PED use was rife. And besides, there is a difference between athletes being fed drugs unknowingly from when they were teenagers in a totalitarian society with little control over their everyday lives to someone who very well knows the rules. Anyway, we're on about Tyson Gay here, not the GDR.

If Gay comes back in blazing form, what does it tell us? I don't like his lenient ban, but I accept he is returning under the rules. However, in no way would I want him to return with "a screamer". Why anyone would want a convicted doper to come back in the same form they were in when they were doped is beyond me. It doesn't tell me they were a brilliant natural talent, it tells me they're still on something. Or else PEDs are useless, which we know isn't true.

Then to add to that, some posters are wetting their pants at the thought of a Gay, Gatlin, Powell clash. I mean, really? Is this what we have come to; hyping up the return of all these frauds? Some of you are either very young, blindly patriotic or just don't care about any sense of fair play.
    So.. condemned for life then? No forgiveness? He is relegated to come back and suck or else? None of us know the entire story and we may never. However, as you mention, he is back according to the rules.
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.