Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Gale Sayers/Bo Jackson
    Hard to believe Gale was the second fastest in his family, his brother Roger a world class sprinter at the U of Omaha. He was also a great footballer but at 160ish pounds....well.

The first time I saw Gale it was a newsreel. He took off around end.....98 yards. Then I forgot about him. Would see him again in a college all star game but he did little. Funny thing is Brian Piccolo (Wake Forest) was the nations leading rusher in Gales senior season. The Bears getting both and Dick Butkus.

Anyway...

If not for an injury there is no telling where Sayers would be on the all time rushing list, he was the best ever out in an open field. a starting running back who returns kicks, something we never see today. He had that long range speed, something not all backs possess, most can't out run cornerbacks. Sayers didn't have that problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JiPbFO-0AU

Neither Gale Sayers or Bo Jackson show up on any lists and that's a shame both were as good as it got and if not for injuries who knows where they'd be when talking about the great running backs. A good example of ....stats don't always tell the story.

I will also mention Herschel Walker, why he wasn't used right in the NFL (not so in the USFL) I don't know. You stick him in the I and build your offense around him. He was limited as a runner but what he could do he was great at. Him and Bo the best example of size wth speed we've seen.

One of my prized possesions in a 1968 Gale Sayers football card in mint condition. I'm guessing (would never sell) around 40-50 bucks. While the Walker and Bo rookies are worth a few bucks, that ain't right.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Gale Sayers/Bo Jackson
    I've always felt Walker has been jobbed when it comes to the HOF. His NFL stats alone are pretty good. When you add his USFL stats, he's very impressive. It's the Pro Football HOF, not the NFL HOF so I wonder why he isn't given more consideration.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

3. Collapse Details
    I believe Gale Sayers is the youngest player ever inducted into the Hall of Fame. To me he's the football equivalent of Sandy Koufax, a comet that burned as bright as any in history, but which didn't last very long.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74
    I've always felt Walker has been jobbed when it comes to the HOF. His NFL stats alone are pretty good. When you add his USFL stats, he's very impressive. It's the Pro Football HOF, not the NFL HOF so I wonder why he isn't given more consideration.
    I totally agree and have thought the same thing. I do believe Walker deserves to be in the HOF and his USFL days a big reason why. Yes we all know the USFL wasn't the NFL...so what? It was pro football, had a tv contract and deserves some respect.

I also think George Reed belongs in the HOF, not just the CFL HOF. He was their Jim Brown. I know I'm opening up a can of worms there with the CFL being included.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    I believe Gale Sayers is the youngest player ever inducted into the Hall of Fame. To me he's the football equivalent of Sandy Koufax, a comet that burned as bright as any in history, but which didn't last very long.
    Jim Brown was a power back with good speed, you'd...damn!.....while watching him drag tacklers, then he'd juke/jive make ya miss. But....he was never....did I really just see that?...that was Gale Sayers. Sure I'd want Brown first because he wore down defenses. Then comes Sayers over anyone else who ever played even Barry Sanders.

Imagine Sayers out in the slot today...whoa!

6. Collapse Details
    While Sayers was the extraordinary complete player, what made him truly stunning was his ability to find the end zone. His rookie season in the nfl was a scoring orgy -- huge season total, 6 in one game, etc. He was amazingly productive.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonian
    While Sayers was the extraordinary complete player, what made him truly stunning was his ability to find the end zone. His rookie season in the nfl was a scoring orgy -- huge season total, 6 in one game, etc. He was amazingly productive.
    Story goes he got the five TDs and someone mentioned that one more would tie the NFL record. So Halas puts him back to return a punt....yep!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if that's actualy what happened, but....good story

8. Collapse Details
    Dixon, don't the jackets worn by inductees have the NFL logo on them? I always thought the two were connected (NFL and Pro Football HOF).

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BillVol
    Dixon, don't the jackets worn by inductees have the NFL logo on them? I always thought the two were connected (NFL and Pro Football HOF).
    That might be true now but I doubt it was always that way, remember...Lance Alworth, Joe Namath, Len Dawson, Don Maynard, Willie Laneir, Bobby Bell (others) in the HOF based on their AFL careers. Guys like Otto Graham, "Crazy" Legs Hirsh, Joe "The Jet" Perry (others) all started off in the old AAFC.

Walker is the only one where his combo*** USFL/NFL careers would give him HOF numbers. His NFL numbers alone have him gaining more yards that a lot of HOFers like Paul Hornung, Larry Csonka, Frank Gifford and others. His 84 tds also more than a lot of HOFers.

*** Steve Young, Reggie White, Jim Kelly don't need USFL stats.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by BillVol
    That might be true now but I doubt it was always that way, remember...Lance Alworth, Joe Namath, Len Dawson, Don Maynard, Willie Laneir, Bobby Bell (others) in the HOF based on their AFL careers. Guys like Otto Graham, "Crazy" Legs Hirsh, Joe "The Jet" Perry (others) all started off in the old AAFC.

Walker is the only one where his combo*** USFL/NFL careers would give him HOF numbers. His NFL numbers alone have him gaining more yards that a lot of HOFers like Paul Hornung, Larry Csonka, Frank Gifford and others. His 84 tds also more than a lot of HOFers.

*** Steve Young, Reggie White, Jim Kelly don't need USFL stats.
    At least MLB shows some consistency on this matter. Non-MLB stats don't count towards the HOF, but former non-MLB players are eligible for the Rookie-of-the-Year award in their first year in MLB. Jackie Robinson, Kazuhiro Sasaki, Ichiro Suzuki and Hideo Nomo all won the Rookie-of-the-Year award. There are some Negro League players in the HOF, but my sense is that MLB did this out of a sense of atoning for past sins of bigotry and exclusion, and not solely based on stats.