Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Shot putters and clean and jerk
    I have a theory which I am anxious to run by others which is that there is, given throwing skill and form being equal a close parallel between shot put marks and clean and jerk. I was always a sprinter but messed around with the shot. I could throw about 33 feet and jerk about 180 pounds. I remember reading Bruce Jenner prior to the 76 Olympics was throwing about 47 or 48 and jerking 270. Also, shotputters Feurbach and Gary Grubner were throwing in the high sixties to low seventies and could jerk over 400 pounds. In Jenner's case both his shot mark and his jerk were about fifty percent more than mine while both Feurbach and Grubner's shot and jerk marks were fifty percent more than Jenner's. I think the jerk simulates the same speed and muscle groups which the shot uses. Thoughts? Those are the only athletes whose shot and jerk marks I know so I guess I need more test cases.
    Matt Gottlieb

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Shot putters and clean and jerk
    My personal bests were 230 in the clean and jerk and I threw 55'. Does that help?

3. Collapse Details
    Ken Patera has to be the highest-level shot putter / clean & jerk total, I would think. Can't think of anyone since him at the top level in both events. C&J was 505 lbs. I don't know his SP PR offhand but was probably in the 62-63 feet range - thats in the late 1960s.

4. Collapse Details
    I have found in training shot putters that the incline bench with dumbbells (done explosively) has a very high correlation. There is also a weighted pulley machine that simulates the angle of the throw, up and out.

5. Collapse Details
    This link http://www.strengthfighter.com/2011/05/ ... tling.html says Patera through 67 feet. I read somewhere else that after you get to about 400 pounds additional strength levels don't help the shot put.
    Matt Gottlieb

6. Collapse Details
    Rye Catcher: good job with the 55'. Maybe you can advise me. I just turned 50 and am getting back into the shot seriously. I have thrown 39'1 with the glide using a 12 pound shot and hope to compete with the 6k this summer. I have been making some improvement: sit back technique and keeping my focus backwards as long as possible which I think helps achieve separation. I am jerking about 185-200 now but wondering what else I can do to get better. Thanks.
    Matt Gottlieb

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cecil9sm
    ... wondering what else I can do to get better....
    #1 -- Stay healthy so you can keep throwing.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cecil9sm
    Rye Catcher: good job with the 55'. Maybe you can advise me. I just turned 50 and am getting back into the shot seriously. I have thrown 39'1 with the glide using a 12 pound shot and hope to compete with the 6k this summer. I have been making some improvement: sit back technique and keeping my focus backwards as long as possible which I think helps achieve separation. I am jerking about 185-200 now but wondering what else I can do to get better. Thanks.
    The key is not just pure strength but generating the maximum force to the shot. That requires using all parts of the body, not just the throwing arm. When I won the State meet in HS, every other competitor was lifting more than I ever did. The difference was that I used more of all my body and legs better than they did. Also, in high school, my best C & J was 200lbs and I threw the 12pounder 61 feet and that was way back in 1958. Maximize your effective form and kick butt of your stronger competitors.

9. Collapse Details
    Amazing. My clean and jerk is more like a clean and press since I don't do a full squat but I got 185 the other day. And yet right now my best 12 pound is 39. So I guess I have a lot of work to do.
    Matt Gottlieb

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    I have found in training shot putters that the incline bench with dumbbells (done explosively) has a very high correlation. There is also a weighted pulley machine that simulates the angle of the throw, up and out.
    I started competing in the shot in February for something to do while my grand-daughter was training for the jumps. The knees and ankles don't want me to jump (or do the C&J). Because of the knees can't do the glide properly either so I do the spin.

I agree with Marlow about these 2 exercises for the shot. My bench has been at 150kg for a number of months. But it was only when I started doing explosive incline dumbbell presses and single arm weighted pulley machine presses that my shot improved significantly.

Did my best of 13.62 (44'8") with the 5kg 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately, the next day, full of piss and vinegar (as well as adrenalin) and gunning for a massive 1kg discus PR (targeting 45m), my obviously crap technique on my first throw allowed me instead to break my leg. Discus went straight up in the air. measured it at 37.20m and then went to hospital for a metal plate, 6 screws and a sexy green cast.

Still intend to compete at Lyons next year in the world masters, shot, discuss and hammer. Love the hammer. My favourite event, although I can't throw it worth a damn. Pre-broken leg I was out to 35m with 1 turn. Can't do a 2 turn yet without spinning completely out of control.