Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: NCAA TV/web reactions
    #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Tullahoma / Nice
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    I'm sure I can write all the critiques now, without even watching a single moment thereof :mrgreen:
    I must applaud. That is really really funny. Thank you.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Re: NCAA TV/web reactions
    #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    N38 40, W 121 52
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonian
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    I'm sure I can write all the critiques now, without even watching a single moment thereof :mrgreen:
    I must applaud. That is really really funny. Thank you.
    But also very sad.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Re: NCAA TV/web reactions
    #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank
    Well, of course it was horrible. The "lead" guy didn't know the difference between the backstretch and the homestretch!

    One of my biggest peeves about the camera work is when they are showing the start of a 100/110 race: they often switch camera views just as the guns goes off, so you have to completely re-focus on the runners. Then there's the "artsy" shot of the runners' feet as they approach the finish line in round races, just when you would like to check the time. Even the supposedly run-oriented USAFtv was guilty of that; maybe they were just using the NBC feed.
    Or focusing on the winner only as the other competitors are crossing the line in an event in which the TV people focus almost completely on the TEAM standings! Then, to add fuel to the fire, they mention that the crowd is reacting to unseen Oregon runners battling for places. Think fans of that school or fans of schools competing against them might be interested in seeing the battles for place?
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    Re: NCAA TV/web reactions
    #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    N38 40, W 121 52
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutra5
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank
    Well, of course it was horrible. The "lead" guy didn't know the difference between the backstretch and the homestretch!

    One of my biggest peeves about the camera work is when they are showing the start of a 100/110 race: they often switch camera views just as the guns goes off, so you have to completely re-focus on the runners. Then there's the "artsy" shot of the runners' feet as they approach the finish line in round races, just when you would like to check the time. Even the supposedly run-oriented USAFtv was guilty of that; maybe they were just using the NBC feed.
    Or focusing on the winner only as the other competitors are crossing the line in an event in which the TV people focus almost completely on the TEAM standings! Then, to add fuel to the fire, they mention that the crowd is reacting to unseen Oregon runners battling for places. Think fans of that school or fans of schools competing against them might be interested in seeing the battles for place?
    It's clear that the directors do not have the slightest idea how to watch/see athletics events. They have absolutely zero penetration into the essence of the events. Without understanding, the great technical resources they command are practically useless -- sometimes worse than useless.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    Re: NCAA TV/web reactions
    #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,152
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    I think you're mistaken, because I've been at every meet since they began broadcasting live in 2006, and on the final day, the meet has always begun before the TV broadcast began. Furthermore, there was originally 3 hours of coverage on Friday and 2.5 hours on Saturday instead of the 2 and 2 that ESPN is giving us now.
    Then I may have to dig through my collection of VHS videotapes to check again. I'm pretty sure that, in one of those NCAA meets in the past decade, all of the key events scheduled for the final day were held within the allotted timeframe that CBS gave to televise the meet (some field events, I imagine, began before the CBS telecast). Whether it was 2 hours or 3 hours, I must admit I don't exactly remember, but I'll bet my horse money it was 2 hours, like so many in the past (with plenty of taped coverage included).

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    As a track fan, I wish your fantasy world was reality, but it's not. Why do you think the 4x100 was moved from Friday to Saturday, and the 400, the 400 Hurdles, the 800 and one of the 5000's was moved from Saturday to Friday? However, at least the IAAF and the NCAA haven't tampered with the rules of the sport to please TV executives, unlike the NBA and the NFL.
    Too bad the Beijing 2008 Olympic Organizing Committee kissed NBC's ass with regard to swimming, and held finals in the morning and heats at night, rather than the other way around, as originally planned. NBC is lucky that Michael Phelps still won everything in sight, or his fans and swim fans everywhere would have ripped them to shreds. I doubt the Rio 2016 Committee will allow themselves to be so easily talked down to by a network.

    Nonetheless, it was refreshing to see ESPNU go into overtime as the Saturday portion of the NCAA Champs ran past its 2-hour schedule (they went 2:26). If that had happened on CBS, they surely would have cut off the program for local news or <gasp> GOLF! :?
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    Re: NCAA TV/web reactions
    #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,152
    UPDATE: Never mind. I found the NCAA meet that I thought had the most ridiculously condensed Saturday schedule. It was the 2007 meet in Sacramento.

    Here were the finals on that day: 400H, 800, 400, 200, 1,500 and 4x400, in that order. First track event (m400H) was 10:05 A.M.; last event (w4x400) was 11:48 A.M. Little chance of doubling in the individual events. I imagine the runners were quite tired, given that the winning times for the relays were 3:04.92 and 3:32.72.

    This was a live meet for all of the Saturday track events. In NYC, CBS televised the meet from 1:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. I'll bet my horse money that CBS rolled them over in one way or another to end up with a schedule like that! If I'm not mistaken, I think there was a writeup about this in T&FN. I have to dig out my toy chest for my 2007 subscription to re-read.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    Re: NCAA TV/web reactions
    #57
    Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta
    UPDATE: Never mind. I found the NCAA meet that I thought had the most ridiculously condensed Saturday schedule. It was the 2007 meet in Sacramento.

    Here were the finals on that day: 400H, 800, 400, 200, 1,500 and 4x400, in that order. First track event (m400H) was 10:05 A.M.; last event (w4x400) was 11:48 A.M. Little chance of doubling in the individual events. I imagine the runners were quite tired, given that the winning times for the relays were 3:04.92 and 3:32.72.

    This was a live meet for all of the Saturday track events. In NYC, CBS televised the meet from 1:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. I'll bet my horse money that CBS rolled them over in one way or another to end up with a schedule like that! If I'm not mistaken, I think there was a writeup about this in T&FN. I have to dig out my toy chest for my 2007 subscription to re-read.
    In 2007, the field events did start before the TV broadcast just like this year. But the bottom line is that there were six running events per gender in two hours in 2007 and six running events per gender in two hours in 2014. IMO, the biggest difference between 2007 and 2014 is that in 2007, you had to run three rounds in all 800m and shorter running events instead of just two, but that still didn't stop LSU from running 2:59.59 or Monique Henderson and Natasha Hastings from running 50.10 and 50.15 respectively. Under the two-round system which started in 2010, I'm guessing LSU would have run 2:58 and Henderson and Hastings would have run 49's.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    Re: NCAA TV/web reactions
    #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,152
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    In 2007, the field events did start before the TV broadcast just like this year. But the bottom line is that there were six running events per gender in two hours in 2007 and six running events per gender in two hours in 2014. IMO, the biggest difference between 2007 and 2014 is that in 2007, you had to run three rounds in all 800m and shorter running events instead of just two, but that still didn't stop LSU from running 2:59.59 or Monique Henderson and Natasha Hastings from running 50.10 and 50.15 respectively. Under the two-round system which started in 2010, I'm guessing LSU would have run 2:58 and Henderson and Hastings would have run 49's.
    Errr, uhhh...

    ...Bub...

    ...Henderson? LSU? That was the 2005 meet!! ops: :mrgreen: [Assuming you thought those performances were in 2007.]

    Excluding the Heptathlon 800 at 4:05 P.M., the track schedule was 2 hours and 45 minutes between the start of the m400 (6:00) and w4x400 (8:45), as opposed to a 1:43 span in 2007. The only difference being there were the 5,000s in 2005. Had they included the 5,000 on a Saturday in 2007, I imagine the span would have been 2:15. Again, pretty narrow.

    Natasha did run 50.15 in the 2007 meet, though. She probably wanted to run the 200, but couldn't because of the atrocious schedule. South Carolina might have stood a better chance of winning on points.

    My bad on the relay results. I was looking at the entries for the final. Those were their semi times. Baylor ran 3:00.04 (the first 4 teams broke 3:04) and LSU ran 3:28.07 (first 3 teams under 3:30). Natasha, running for S.C. (2nd in 3:28.48), couldn't catch Deonna Lawrence, though. I wonder what the splits were.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    Re: NCAA TV/web reactions
    #59
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    60,963
    Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta
    ...
    Nonetheless, it was refreshing to see ESPNU go into overtime as the Saturday portion of the NCAA Champs ran past its 2-hour schedule (they went 2:26). If that had happened on CBS, they surely would have cut off the program for local news or <gasp> GOLF! :?
    They had little choice, since the running-late problem can be laid at the feet of inept production by the TV crew. The NCAA would have skinned them alive.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •