Partly Cloudy 67
    Partly Cloudy
    CHANCE OF RAIN:
    0%
    WIND:
    N at 8 mph

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Eugene weather
    is this the right Eugene? No chance of rain? This should be a distance runner's dream provided the pollen isn't too bad.

3. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Unless it is accompanied by strong gusting winds, I've always throught of rain as the distance runner's friend; wicks away heat, which is the biggest enemy in endurance events.

4. Collapse Details
    Don't like the cool tempatures,and will probably rain on one or two of the days.
    "Sprintin' ain't easy,baby !

5. Collapse Details
    Hallelujah!!!!!! We'll take it.
    Amazing weather this week, considering it is Eugene. I will take it and the athletes will be thrilled, relative to the excremental weather that often passes through the Willamette Valley in June.

Eugene is capable of having, and often has, the absolute worst June weather in the inhabited Northern Hemisphere. What makes it so awful for the athletes is that bad June weather in Track Town is not marginally bad. When weather goes awry in Eugene, it goes Buffalo bad, when using ncaa outdoor championship weather as a point of reference.

One example of many: prior to the 4x100 relay in 2010, it was 52 degrees, and raining, in the fog. That marine layer really adds insult to injury, bringing blankets to the knees of well prepared spectators, who have seen it all before. (Volgograd was 82 and sunny that day / London was 78 and partly cloudy , for cryin out loud!). 8 of the last 16 days of ncaa competition I have experienced have been terrible at Hayward, so there is a 50% chance on any given day events are scheduled in this month........
    Maybe we will dodge the bullet this year.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    is this the right Eugene? No chance of rain? This should be a distance runner's dream provided the pollen isn't too bad.
    It is the west coast; it rains a lot in the winter (Eugene gets 20 days a month from Nov through March, and a lot in October and April, less in May, and come summer it does not rain much (forget about the Trials decathlon, that was actually a bit of an anomaly). I only lived in the area a couple of years but the local weather is not the same as Seattle, which is right on the water and has the complex geography of the Sound and Mount Rainier.

7. Collapse Details
    I would rather have it in these conditions than the thousand degree day in Des Moines a few years ago. That was borderline farcical.

8. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonian
    Eugene is capable of having, and often has, the absolute worst June weather in the inhabited Northern Hemisphere..
    Weather, of course, is totally subjective. Depends on what you're used to.

I've been to dozens of days of nationals in Eugene in the last decade alone and only one of them (the rainy frozen Sunday at the '01 USATF) would I consider not just fine for track & field. Conversely, in that same time period, there wasn't a single day in Indy, Des Moines, Baton Rouge, or Fayetteville where I wasn't counting the hours until I was delivered from the ungodly heat and humidity.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Weather, of course, is totally subjective. Depends on what you're used to.
    You sir, have not been to the meets I have then. I too, have been to 150 competition days in Eugene (at ncaa, Oly trials, USA champs, JO's, etc). I give them a free pass for the abysmal Pepsi meet in April (which i have also attended), which is often grotesque for outdoor track, climatically speaking.

I qualified my initial remarks with a context, that you ignored. Weather is most certainly not "completely" objective, and you know that. 52 degrees at the beginning of the final day of 2010 NCAAs(10am) is data, not subjectivity. So i am offended by your convenient dismissal of fact. I welcome your facts, not subjective conjecture.

The weather during the women's 10K at the 2012 trials was horrible.
    It was horrible for the hour prior to the mens 110 hurdle final at the 2012 trials.
    I will be disappointed if you think those were acceptable conditions for any outdoor track meet in America.

I could site dozens of examples, where the weather fell well below acceptable standards for American outdoor conditions.

I have no problem with Eugene, who can do nothing about its own weather. I just laugh about the choreographed defensive denial that exists surrounding any rational attempt to quantify its Buffaloesque, Vancouveresque climate.

10. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonian
    .. Weather is most certainly not "completely" objective, and you know that. 52 degrees at the beginning of the final day of 2010 NCAAs(10am) is data, not subjectivity. ....
    Of course it is; I had/have no problem with a 52-degree reading, you do. Ergo, it's subjective. I'm guessing, given your handle, that you had no problem with the days I thought were gruesome in Indy, Fayetteville, etc, etc. Different strokes.

I'm not putting down your choice of weather in any way; nor should you trash mine.