Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Triple Crown Rant
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    we had a backyard gathering yesterday (not because of the race) and I know next to nothing about the ponies but before the race I said it seemed to me, watching from afar, that one reason we haven't had a TC winner in so long is because a lower percentage of horses than before show up at one/both of the first legs of it.

If the lay of the land has indeed changed, I said I thought that perhaps some kind of rule modification was in order.
    Question:

How many total folk in El G's Oly 5,000 meter field ran either the 1500 or 10,000m in those Games?

I know it's only Double Crown, and I'm comparing men to ponies, but......!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wineturtle
    When I listened to Tom Hammond's call---
    oops got to run have to catch up with Rawson down at my local HS track
    /
    wineturtle--If you think that Tom Hammond called the race, you obviously weren't paying attention to the broadcast. And Larry hasn't used that phrase in years.

3. Collapse Details
    If Chrome was a true champion (as if there is such a thing from an animal), then he would have beaten all comers.

Horse racing is just not a legitimate sport. The horses are not placed in the gate according to seeding but by draw. But even if they were place by seeding, they are still animals. And as I posted in another thread, horse racing times have not improved that much through the years.

Horse racing is a pretty pathetic affair outside of a few marquis events. I've been to two or three horse races and they were depressing. But even the fancy hats and mint juleps can't make up for the fact that horse racing is a joke.

4. Collapse Details
    A rant made spectacular, by accurate content, regarding both human nature and animal (and human) physiology. He could be speaking about collegiate track and field. Perhaps he was, metaphorically.........

It is accurate to state that some horses were rested strategically for a third round bout with a game Chrome, whose owner made the bold attempt to try to win, all in, the triple crown.
    Resting is a legal strategy. It just doesn't move one's heart, like the Champion who takes on all comers, every time. Like it or not, there is real honor in valiant attempt at immortality.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    When Secretariat won the Belmont, I think only 6 horses ran in the race - few were willing to contest him. Secretariat and Sham ran all 3 races for certain..
    And, after dominant wins at the Kentucky Derby and Preakness, Whirlaway only faced 3 horses at Belmont when it completed the Tripe Crown in 1941

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o-5TR0m5N8
    http://www.triplecrownraces.com/whirlaway/
    http://www.belmontstakes.com/history/whirlaway.aspx

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Murphy
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    When Secretariat won the Belmont, I think only 6 horses ran in the race - few were willing to contest him. Secretariat and Sham ran all 3 races for certain..
    And, after dominant wins at the Kentucky Derby and Preakness, Whirlaway only faced 3 horses at Belmont when it completed the Tripe Crown in 1941

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o-5TR0m5N8
    http://www.triplecrownraces.com/whirlaway/
    http://www.belmontstakes.com/history/whirlaway.aspx
    Yeah, and I just checked. In 1973, Secretariat faced 4 other horses in the Belmont (field of 5), and 5 other horses in the Preakness (field of 6). They were quite scared of him, except for Sham, who raced all 3.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by user4
    1) I was perplexed when the CC rider decided to move out wide BEFORE the final turn. My back of the envelop calculations tell me that he would have been within a head lean for the win had he stuck to the rail around the curve and then moved to an opening on the final straight.
    I thought this was the key to the race. CC was the fourth horse in a four-wide race on the last of those looong turns.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dj
    Quote Originally Posted by user4
    1) I was perplexed when the CC rider decided to move out wide BEFORE the final turn. My back of the envelop calculations tell me that he would have been within a head lean for the win had he stuck to the rail around the curve and then moved to an opening on the final straight.
    I thought this was the key to the race. CC was the fourth horse in a four-wide race on the last of those looong turns.
    For most of that turn he's tucked in a little closer- tough to judge but his head is inside of Tonalist - and moved outside of Tonalist, who won while running three-wide the whole turn, midway in the turn.

9. Collapse Details
    Charles Pierce says it well (as usual)

The Triple Crown is not one event. It is three unique events leading to a single achievement, closer to winning a Grand Slam in tennis or golf than it is to anything else. Different races, different tracks, different challenges, every year, and the last certainly always should include looking around the starting gate at Belmont and seeing horses you havenít seen before. People came to Belmont on Saturday to watch a champion run. They got what they paid for. He just didnít win, is all.
    http://grantland.com/features/belmont-s ... ia-chrome/

10. Collapse Details
    CC owner has apologized for his rant.