Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Triple Crown Rant
    Anyone else catch California Chrome owner denouncing as cowards other owners who did not run their horses in all three Triple Crown races putting his horse at a disadvantage because they were "fresh"?

I understand his frustration but he seems to overlook that none of those other horses were running for the Triple Crown.. they were running the Belmont.

If you change the rules to only horses who ran the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness are eligible for the Belmont, you will have demeaned all previous Triple Crown owners who faced all comers.
    Just my opinion.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Triple Crown Rant
    Loved it. It was one of the few pieces of honest TV I've seen this year and the crew seemed rather stunned.

I think the analyst with the bald head called the owner a sore loser or something but you could tell he was very concerned about a tired Chrome.
    I don't know enough about HR to understand how fatigued Chrome was--due to the previous 2 races-- but it looked to me like the long Belmont backstraight just sapped all the horse's strength. He maintained position but had nothing left to finish strong.

Not the best sportsmanship to call out some of his fellow owners --cowards -- but again I have no problem with it he was pissed and didn't hold back.

3. Collapse Details
    I paid attention to the whole prerace show and it was a script almost entirely about CC versus the Triple Crown. When I listened to Tom Hammond's call--- the light of understandin came on. He called the Chrome Triple Crown Attempt script ---
    Fred Capossela would have turned the call of this race into a masterpiece of sports reporting.
    A famous Cappy quote You cannot describe a race objectively if you have a betting interest in it.
    He noted that your mind's eye will subconsciously be drawn to your bet.
    The CaliC goes for the Triple story for the casual viewer takes the place of a wager in todays version of the quote. With the number of viewers that only tuned in because they wanted to see a Triple Crown Winner (or the 'crash and burn' auto racing crowd types that turned on looking for a loser) that was the story he had to call.
    The second dawning came from the group around me- they had a noticeable smugness about themselves when they realized, before Tom, that CC was not going to win. People around me who actually watched and listened to the race as it was reported asked "Who won?" without a shred of embarrassment. They just knew CC didn't and beat Tom to that call!!!.
    That's why the TV suits hire Tom to call T&F meets and the T&F fans wonder why- he's damn good at following the scripted story for the sheeple in spite of what is actually happening in front of their eyes.

oops got to run have to catch up with Rawson down at my local HS track

first posted on http://www.letsrun.com/forum/
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    Anyone else catch California Chrome owner denouncing as cowards other owners who did not run their horses in all three Triple Crown races putting his horse at a disadvantage because they were "fresh"?

I understand his frustration but he seems to overlook that none of those other horses were running for the Triple Crown.. they were running the Belmont.

If you change the rules to only horses who ran the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness are eligible for the Belmont, you will have demeaned all previous Triple Crown owners who faced all comers.
    Just my opinion.
    I know nothing about horses, but does it take more than 3 weeks for them to fully recover from the race?
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

5. Collapse Details
    Classic "Kenyan team tactics" race! The field had him boxed in early, slowed the pace down, and made him run wide late! Cali's owner was right about one thing: "He had a target on his back"......as every favorite in every race, man or horse, should!

6. Collapse Details
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by einnod23
    Classic "Kenyan team tactics" race! The field had him boxed in early, slowed the pace down, and made him run wide late! Cali's owner was right about one thing: "He had a target on his back"......as every favorite in every race, man or horse, should!
    1) I was perplexed when the CC rider decided to move out wide BEFORE the final turn. My back of the envelop calculations tell me that he would have been within a head lean for the win had he stuck to the rail around the curve and then moved to an opening on the final straight.

2) I think the CC owner had good points regarding other owners ducking. I would like to know more about the history of the competition in the Kentucky Derby and Belmont. Was it typical in the past for fully capable and qualified horses to skip the Kentucky Derby and save themselves for the Belmont ? Had previous triple crown winners faced fresher opponents who used the duck the Derby strategy, would they have won the triple ?

While I know absolutely nothing about horse racing I did sleep at Holiday Inn last night

7. Collapse Details
    I gather that the Belmont winner, Tonalist, was sick and couldn't run the Wood Memorial and therefore couldn't qualify for the Kentucky Derby.

Requiring horses to run all three races seems silly--it ignores the fact that each of these three races has independent significance. Would anyone suggest that you shouldn't be able to compete in any of the tennis Grand Slams if you haven't competed in the previous ones that year? Absurd.

8. Collapse Details
    Paging mrbowie!

9. Collapse Details
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    I gather that the Belmont winner, Tonalist, was sick and couldn't run the Wood Memorial and therefore couldn't qualify for the Kentucky Derby.

Requiring horses to run all three races seems silly--it ignores the fact that each of these three races has independent significance. Would anyone suggest that you shouldn't be able to compete in any of the tennis Grand Slams if you haven't competed in the previous ones that year? Absurd.
    Of course but in assessing the significance of a particular triple crown winner I would like to compare them fair and square and see if previous triple crown winners faced top opponents that were more well rested. I thought that was what the CC owner was saying and it didnt strike me as absurd though I would want to see the data.

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah, we were pulling for CC big time. Sour grapes for Steve Coburn and I was glad that Bob Costas asked Tonalist owner Robert Evans about it in the post-race interview. Evans refused to even comment.

CC trainer Art Sherman did a bit of damage control this morning...
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/07/us/tri...html?hpt=hp_t2

I wonder whether the "peaking" phenomena comes into play here? I would think that CC had peaked for those first two races and then physiologically simply couldn't recover in time for the Belmont. I'm always framing these races in track racing terms, which probably only apply to a limited extent.

There is also a darker, conspiratorial view to this, that he "took a dive". Not saying that I share this view, but I'm sure it has come up in discussions. See the YouTube video below:
    http://youtu.be/6AsDjvUIGQM