Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Official World Cup Brazil 2014 Thread
    I didn't see a thread started yet, so I'll go. The US just finished their final warmup match in advance of the Brazil World Cup. They looked pretty good defeating Nigeria 2-1, but they still have work to do on the defensive side.

The US is in probably the toughest group top to bottom. Group G has Germany, Portugal, US, and Ghana. Germany should get through, but after that it is a bit of a toss up. The US needs to beat Ghana in their opening match to have their best chance to advance. Even that doesn't make it a lock.

The other two brutal groups are B and D. Each of those has a weak link (B=Australia, D=Costa Rica), but the other three are top notch teams. Two very good teams will not advance out of those groups.

First match next Thursday, with host Brazil against Croatia. It is at 4 PM eastern time in the US. Bring it on.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Official World Cup Brazil 2014 Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgato
    The US is in probably the toughest group top to bottom. Group G has Germany, Portugal, US, and Ghana.
    Not probably the toughest group - definitely the toughest group. After the draw it was analyzed and determined to be the toughest World Cup group of all-time, based on FIFA World Rankings, since they've been doing it this way with the draw and the rankings - goes back about 30 years I think.

3. Collapse Details
    By the way, stayed in a hotel this weekend in Jacksonville, FL, where the Nigerian football team was also staying. They didn't look so tough - on the other hand, that is based on my analysis of seeing a few of the players in the lobby.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgato
    The US is in probably the toughest group top to bottom. Group G has Germany, Portugal, US, and Ghana.
    Not probably the toughest group - definitely the toughest group. After the draw it was analyzed and determined to be the toughest World Cup group of all-time, based on FIFA World Rankings, since they've been doing it this way with the draw and the rankings - goes back about 30 years I think.
    Toughest group of all time. Doubt it. Portugal is ranked too high. Ahead of Belgium, Uruguay, England and Italy. No way. Now possibly without Ronaldo for several matches matches they are very shaky. Ghana is ranked below Honduras!

5. Collapse Details
    Can Divine intervention help the Australian team? Maybe not.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/australi ... 1402390008

6. Collapse Details
    Forgot that I started this thread, since this board had been locked for a while. The US-Ghana game goes off in less than an hour. I am hopeful that the US doesn't concede a silly goal in the first 15 minutes. The earlier German dismantling of Portugal helps whoever gets out of this game with the most points.

Other matches have been quite entertaining for the most part. Lots of goals, and lots of drama.

Go USA!

7. Collapse Details
    A huge win for USA.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details
    I was going NUTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

and Portugal suddenly looks doable.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    A huge win for USA.
    In the wake of which, Charley Lonewolf,13, announced plans to play on the US team in 2018 (or possibly 2022), retired to the backyard and is kicking 25-30 yard bullets into a 6' x 12' goal with his 10 year old brother in goal....

10. Collapse Details
    lonewolf, that makes me very happy. I wish that I had had exposure to soccer growing up. Such a great sport. I really hope that the sport keeps growing in the US.

On to Portugal. Go USA!