Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Stanford meets.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Stanford meets.
    I love the Stanford meets as my favorite area of T & F is distance running...but I have seen something happen all too often that makes me wonder...the conditions are usually so ideal w/ great competition and excitement that people run such great times that they have a hard time improving on it when they want to be at their best for the bigger meets.

The Payton Jordan men's 5000m is a most notable example where all of those great times evaporated in the Pre meet. Hope this isn't a pattern for remaining meets.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Stanford meets.
    Administrator
    Stanford 5K (and all the races) are run on a delightfully cool evening with minimal winds, perfect pacing for fast national-class times and nobody (well, "nobody") cares about winning; it's all about a time.

Pre 5K was under a "hot" sun, with notably gusting winds and a pace meant for international-class times. They're not remotely comparable.

3. Collapse Details
    Isn't the 2010 Payton Jordan race where the Salazar-Schumacher rift began?

4. Collapse Details
    I love the PJ!!
    As a marks-first person, I love the runner's attitude taken there-----times & records first, medals be damned!!

We need MORE meets like that!!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk
    As a marks-first person, I love the runner's attitude taken there-----times & records first, medals be damned!!
    I agree 100%, but we're a teensy minority here. It's only in the biggest comps that I care who wins. My vision of T&F has always been 'you against the clock/measuring tape'. In HS I was virtually undefeated (OK, it was only Connecticut prep schools!), but only happy when I PRed. If I had finished 7th and PRed, I would have been a happy camper. As a coach, I only look at 'improving'. If you're State Champ, that's on you.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk
    I agree 100%, but we're a teensy minority here.
    At the elite level, we have virtually nothing but meets like the ones you're describing. This point is lost to those who bitch endlessly during every championship meet.

7. Collapse Details
    Endlessly chasing marks with no regard for racing is one of the reasons the sport is not popular anymore. Records are so much more exciting when they're achieved in the context of a race rather than a time trial. See the current 800m world record and the 2011 Boston Marathon for reference. Compare them with the officially recognized world record in the marathon and Rudisha's previous record.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott
    Endlessly chasing marks with no regard for racing is one of the reasons the sport is not popular anymore. Records are so much more exciting when they're achieved in the context of a race rather than a time trial. See the current 800m world record and the 2011 Boston Marathon for reference. Compare them with the officially recognized world record in the marathon and Rudisha's previous record.
    Disagree - some of the greatest events in T&F history were one-sided affairs. How many people know (or care) who Bannister BEAT in his sub-4 mile? Or Beamon or Oerter or Lewis or Hayes, etc., etc.. Ruidisha's 800 was a race against the clock, not his competitors. He said that after the race.

9. Collapse Details
    I'm not a records person as much as I'd rather see a great race between great runners. If they set a record as well that's fine. However, the Rudisha 800 in the OG was one of the best runs I've ever seen.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott
    Are you saying that Rudisha's current WR was not a breathtaking race? One of the best in years?