Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cursive dying out?
    Thread over on our board says kids are not learning cursive anymore due to everything being on computer. Other than my own name, I never use cursive. After reading that post, I tried to write the alphabet in caps and lower case in cursive. I think I missed a few letters in caps.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Cursive dying out?
    Cursive died out for me a long time ago, and I definitely grew up in the "pre-computer" generation. I was taught it to some extent in early grades of primary school, but I would guess I was part of the last generation that had that as a standard part of primary education, in which it was emphasized to some extent. I remember some of that handwriting education more than anything else in my early primary grades because -- being left-handed -- I wasn't very good at it. So, as soon as I was no longer required to attempt cursive, it was gone for me. (However, I know that left-handedness isn't an absolute barrier because of some other left-handers in my family who mastered cursive well. Mysteriously well, from my perspective. I couldn't get my hand oriented properly to write cursive properly if my life depended on it.)

Also, I have been teaching for many years, and I would say that it also died out for pretty much all of my students a very long time ago, or -- at least -- it clearly became a very low priority in primary education. when I have some impromptu writing assignment in class in which the task is done pen/pencil on paper, almost all of them write in non-cursive script. That's been true for quite a while, iirc.

3. Collapse Details
    What did people do before computers? How did we make it?

What do poor people do that can't afford a computer (keep it running)..?

4. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    I quit using cursive 40+ years ago, as soon as I didn't have HS teachers flogging me for it.

And everybody who has ever tried to read my cursive says a hearty THANK YOU!

I print about as fast as I ever scrawled, but I do link certain logical pairs.

5. Collapse Details
    I always revert to cursive when writing anything more than a note. And at least 3/4s of my teenage students write their in-class essays in cursive.

6. Collapse Details
    I still use cursive, and I can't imagine not using cursive. But my use of cursive is very limited. Apart from occasionally writing grocery lists and checks, when do I write anything? I guess when I'm in a meeting and taking notes, I write (and use cursive). But in my day-to-day life, I communicate on the computer. I could probably go for days without writing a word.

I would ask one question of those who literally don't know how to write cursive. How do you sign your name? When you get a credit card sales slip in a store or restaurant, there are usually two separate lines, one that says "signature" and the other that says "print name". Do stores and restaurants accept that?

7. Collapse Details
    Talked about this when my folks were out for Xmas. My kids (14 and 12) kinda learned to read and kinda learned to write in cursive, but not so well. So Grammy is starting to write them a real, actual letter (another lost art) in cursive. They struggled to read her first one, and her cursive is reasonable.

8. Collapse Details
    Lots of kids aren't being taught cursive and lots of kids are not getting any formalized qwerty keyboard skills in school.
    Scary thing is that we are assuming that everyone in the USA and elsewhere has or will have computer skills which are increasingly required for even the simplest tasks. Applying for a minimum wage job that requires no computer knowledge? Chances are you'll have to apply online but people who might want the job often have no easy computer access or ability. And you can't even get a gmail account without another email account or a phone for verification. The poor get poorer...

9. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    A year or two back, I had a youngster somewhere in the family tree ask me what I thought was the most important subject/skill they could have. My answer was….. typing. (or as we in the modern world like to call it, keystroking)

And I stand by that.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BillVol
    Other than my own name, I never use cursive.
    Same here. But I think my use of non-cursive caps goes back to my engineering graphics courses at Ga. Tech. way back when, when we were taught to write in block letters.