Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    why the ADAs are cutting drug deals [WADA OKs Gay]
    Administrator
    thought I'd split this off from the general Gay discussion, even though he's the genesis for it.

Check out the blockbuster piece by David Epstein now on the front page, on a change in anti-doping tactics, going after more than just athletes.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: why the ADAs are cutting drug deals
    Administrator
    a specific from that piece, since some/many have wondered what kind of deal Gay could possibly be making:

<<According to people familiar with the Gay investigation, the sprinter told investigators that his former coach Jon Drummond, a gold medalist and chair of USA Track and Field's Athletes Advisory Committee, encouraged his use of the banned products and transported them for him. They said that Gay also gave information about the chiropractor, as well as NFL players and other track athletes he believes were using the same or similar products.>>

3. Collapse Details
    Are they saying that Gay would have kept his mouth shut if he was not getting a lighter sentence or did they offer him a lighter sentence if he volunteered information?

4. Collapse Details
    Additionally, for those who inadvertently test positive, but are fully responsible for what they ingest, how do they get a reduced sentence since they have no one to inform on?
    Should they get 2 years, while the deliberate doper gets 1-year?

At the end of the day, cheaters will say "Let me take the hard dope" and win, if I don't get caught great. If I do get caught I will inform on everyone and I will be back on the track in 12 or so months.

The outcome of Gay's case is actually not a deterrent, but will only be a further incentive for those would were/are going to dope anyway.

5. Collapse Details
    Find a punishment that is a deterrent. Note that the American murder rate was much higher when they executed a lot more people than they do today.

6. Collapse Details
    Re: breaking news in the Tyson Gay case? [broken]
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Weak Sanction for Sprinter Gay Signals Change in Anti-Doping Tactics by David Epstein[/b]]As ProPublica reported in February, Gay tested positive after using creams given to him by an Atlanta chiropractor that listed several banned substances, including testosterone, right on the label.

Stuart McMillan, sprint coach at the World Athletics Center in Arizona, neatly summarized the majority opinion when he told the Guardian Monday: "No sane person can find justification in [Jamaican sprinter Asafa] Powell receiving an 18-month ban for inadvertent stimulant use while Gay receives a 12-month ban for purposeful steroid use."

According to people with knowledge of the USADA investigation, Gay was assured by the chiropractor that the products were legal, and that NFL players and other track athletes had used them without failing tests. Nonetheless, using a product that lists banned steroids as ingredients is, at best, "staggering negligence," according to World Anti-Doping Agency head David Howman.
    The excellent article now on the TNF front page confirms, IMO, that:
    * Tyson Gay is truly dimwitted
    * Tyson Gay is truly a serial cheat

Or presumably he is illiterate and was unable to read the label and therefore he was truly "let down" by the person who did not read the label contents.

Tyson Gay is just like Gatlin, Ostapchuk, Merritt and the others who have been caught and come up with a myriad of pathetic excuses like "I want bigger gonads". They know they are not good enough naturally to achieve their ambitions and so when their "doctor" says trust me and follow my instructions exactly (and especially in regards to the timing of when you take these enhancers) and you won't get caught, they go ahead and cheat.

Asafa Powell, while he broke the rules, was found to have used a non-PED inadvertently so I think he can feel justifiably pissed off when he sees a deliberate steroid cheat like Gay get a penalty substantially less than his.

I hope all meet promoters refuse to invite Gay to their meets. But that is unlikely to happen as too many of the meet promoters are driven by the $, and if Gay is seen to be a way to increase the $, then they will probably invite him.

7. Collapse Details
    It's nice to see Epstein doing reporting that is honest about the ineffectiveness of drug testing.

8. Collapse Details
    As you say GH, an awesomely excellent and informative article by Epstein. My posting referring to the article and what it says about Gay is on the Gay page.

I sympathise with the need to get intel and so offer reduced sentences. However, the problem is that the only punishment is banning. WADA needs to use its muscle to convince the major countries into making these offences criminal; and complete with punishments that include jail time and substantial fines.

This way the bartering for intel can be on the reduction of jail time and dollar fines.

It is wrong that these people are allowed back as the real victims get punished again; the real victims being the thousands of clean athletes who have to compete against the proven cheats like Gay, Chambers, Gatliln, Merrit, Ostapchuk etc etc.

When lawyers commit serious criminal offences they can go to jail, they can pay substantial fines, they can be struck off the lawyer register. The plea bargaining will usually only be for jail time and dollars. The lawyer will still be banned for life as a practising lawyer.

9. Collapse Details
    Re: breaking news in the Tyson Gay case? [broken]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Weak Sanction for Sprinter Gay Signals Change in Anti-Doping Tactics by David Epstein[/b]]As ProPublica reported in February, Gay tested positive after using creams given to him by an Atlanta chiropractor that listed several banned substances, including testosterone, right on the label.

Stuart McMillan, sprint coach at the World Athletics Center in Arizona, neatly summarized the majority opinion when he told the Guardian Monday: "No sane person can find justification in [Jamaican sprinter Asafa] Powell receiving an 18-month ban for inadvertent stimulant use while Gay receives a 12-month ban for purposeful steroid use."

According to people with knowledge of the USADA investigation, Gay was assured by the chiropractor that the products were legal, and that NFL players and other track athletes had used them without failing tests. Nonetheless, using a product that lists banned steroids as ingredients is, at best, "staggering negligence," according to World Anti-Doping Agency head David Howman.
    The excellent article now on the TNF front page confirms, IMO, that:
    * Tyson Gay is truly dimwitted
    * Tyson Gay is truly a serial cheat

Or presumably he is illiterate and was unable to read the label and therefore he was truly "let down" by the person who did not read the label contents.

Tyson Gay is just like Gatlin, Ostapchuk, Merritt and the others who have been caught and come up with a myriad of pathetic excuses like "I want bigger gonads". They know they are not good enough naturally to achieve their ambitions and so when their "doctor" says trust me and follow my instructions exactly (and especially in regards to the timing of when you take these enhancers) and you won't get caught, they go ahead and cheat.

Asafa Powell, while he broke the rules, was found to have used a non-PED inadvertently so I think he can feel justifiably pissed off when he sees a deliberate steroid cheat like Gay get a penalty substantially less than his.

I hope all meet promoters refuse to invite Gay to their meets. But that is unlikely to happen as too many of the meet promoters are driven by the $, and if Gay is seen to be a way to increase the $, then they will probably invite him.
    Join the club who know that Gay was and is a fatheaded cheat. The comments of a couple of posters are beyond contempt. Nearly as :evil: as the geniuses of USADA

10. Collapse Details
    ^ Agree. Well said. Thank you.