Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Rupp AR 10k at Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutra5
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp
    NBC sports had 5 seconds of the race (after showing most of women's 2 mile) hope NBC will do more justice to this.
    The complete race video is at usatf.tv I believe.
    Gracias. My point is that as usual NBC blew an opportunity to do some creative editing-given the fact that the race was a day old- and show us 5 minutes of a great performance.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    kuha, didn't know you (and bad hammy) were here. You coulda joined me and drjay for a bit of post-meet cheer. Maybe tomorrow: Wild Duck.

we also met infrequent poster mdc.
    Hey, if anyone sees bad hammy today, tell him that we didn't appreciate him knocking Merritt out of the Pre hurdles.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Po
    Quote Originally Posted by kuha
    ... Rupp has the potential to go at least a dozen seconds faster. He looked great--antsy to keep the pace moving, then totally in command...
    kuha -- If there is anything to add, I would be interested to read any further, more elaborated comments you might have on this point. Not being a skeptic, nor being argumentative. I pay attention to your posts & recognize that you have experience & knowledge on these things.

I'll state my perspective, by the way, starting with the fact that all I saw was the video -- not present at the meet, unfortunately (and as usual). Rupp has already gone far beyond where I ever imagined. I could discern at least that he was a talented kid and I thought -- with good health and good coaching -- he would be a good runner at the international level. But I never thought he would break 27:00, much less 26:50. And having done that, I never thought he get in that range again. So, now he's at 26:44, and I am seeing him perhaps capable of breaking 26:40. Of course, all the circumstances have to be aligned, but it really interests me to consider that he -- following your suggestion -- might have 26:32 in him. Such a performance would put him behind only the 3 contemporary giants of this event, plus N. Kemboi & A. Negera (each of whom achieved his 26:30 in chase of one of the 3 great ones -- not that there's anything wrong with that).

It is in his favor that one of the few best places in the world to pursue this is Eugene, and it is his home track.

So, interested in anything else you might have to contribute on this.
    Master P: you may be giving me tons more credit than justified here. My original comments were based "simply" on watching him closely in the race. (Though Ive done this before and take a bit of credit for predicting he would beat Lagat back in '12.) after seeing what we saw, I'm simply extrapolating to the following thought experiment: in genuinely perfect conditions, with everyone in peak fitness, how fast could Rupp go so that, all out on the last 800, he would be left with "only" something like a 2:03 finish (rather than the sub 1:58 of Friday night)..and my guess is something like 26:32... But we will see.

I'm enormously impressed by his efficient biomechanics, his fitness, and his eagerness to put it on the line. His sort of improvement isn't "typical" of anything, but it certainly does happen. Who would have predicted Frank Shorters career as of 1969?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235
    Question: How many have run faster and won - Bekele and Geb, of course, but who else?
    Paul Tergat in his WR ... first man under 26:30.
    That great night in Brussels when Geb was the dog of the day: he "failed" to break the 3000 record, then was forced to watch both of his 5 and 10 records go down.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kuha
    Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235
    Question: How many have run faster and won - Bekele and Geb, of course, but who else?
    Paul Tergat in his WR ... first man under 26:30.
    That great night in Brussels when Geb was the dog of the day: he "failed" to break the 3000 record, then was forced to watch both of his 5 and 10 records go down.
    So true! I wasn't there, but I remember the day.

Wasn't that the short time frame, before the internet became what it is today, when we could call the 1-800 number and listen over the phone to the CBS (I think) radio announcer call the races?

6. Collapse Details
    Vic Holchak!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pickle47
    Vic Holchak!
    Yes! Thanks.

8. Collapse Details
    Well done Rupp. Could well be edging Mo out as number one with a time like that.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by eldanielfire
    Well done Rupp. Could well be edging Mo out as number one with a time like that.
    Hold them horses, pardner.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutra5
    NBC sports had 5 seconds of the race (after showing most of women's 2 mile) hope NBC will do more justice to this.
    The complete race video is at usatf.tv I believe.
    Gracias. My point is that as usual NBC blew an opportunity to do some creative editing-given the fact that the race was a day old- and show us 5 minutes of a great performance.
    I must have lingered too long at a bio break during commercials, as I totally missed it.

And it's like when they covered the 2 mile, one had no sense that Rowbury was on AR pace. Hell, I don't think that they even gave splits. And during the 5K, there was little or no mention of the Americans in the race, the fact that so many had recently run sub 13:10. I was afraid that Tom Hammond was going to accidently shift into horse-racing speak.

Friday night was so much more enjoyable than Saturday. However, we were fortunate that NBC showed as much of the women's HJ as they did. I only wish that they could've showed field events on Friday night instead of re-playing those 800 meter races. I don't recall seeing ANY of the women's LJ on Saturday's telecast, but perhaps I blinked and missed it.