Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Pre Classic 5000 start list - no Rupp?
    I imagine that NOP is hoping that the 10K will go something like Rupp's indoor races this year. A good pace, leaving him with 25% or so of the race to finish on his own, or with someone pushing him (like Chalanga).

However, if the good pacing doesn't materialize, or if Rupp has to lead from halfway or earlier because the pace is sagging, that open's him up to being sat on and out-kicked.

2. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson
    maybe rupp has some financial incentive to run the 10? and make the day interesting, people might show up. as meet director say i'm looking at several thousand more tickets with rupp in the race, sure thing i'd grease the pot.

or rupp may be not in great 5k shape (blowing out the sprints in practice) but he's going forever in training at 10k record pace.

if you want to take a crack at the 10k record, when are you going to do it? how many chances will you have in europe?

something in there lies the reason. probably.
    Won't help ticket sales....Friday evening is free admission.
    But it's also a good loss=leader, with hopes that people who come for the freebie and don't have tickets for Saturday will say, "man,so I really want to miss more of this?"

3. Collapse Details
    Creating new advocates for your sport can't hurt.

4. Collapse Details
    The AR holder and reigning Oly silver medalist in the 10,000m is choosing to run that event at a big meet. Is a laundry list of reasons really necessary?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lovetorun
    Getting second and running just under 13:20 may indicate that Rupp is a bit off form right now and not ready to take on the level of competition that Pre presents. That's my guess.
    Guess again.

6. Collapse Details
    Appears there is no 5000 thread? I watched the replay on usatf.tv (wow, jerkiest feed ever!), really surprised by some of the U.S. guys. And what happened to Levins? Struggled to keep up, not even listed as a DNF.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235
    Quote Originally Posted by lovetorun
    Getting second and running just under 13:20 may indicate that Rupp is a bit off form right now and not ready to take on the level of competition that Pre presents. That's my guess.
    Guess again.
    Notice I said "may" indicate...

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pickle47
    Appears there is no 5000 thread? I watched the replay on usatf.tv (wow, jerkiest feed ever!), really surprised by some of the U.S. guys. And what happened to Levins? Struggled to keep up, not even listed as a DNF.
    Caleb Ndiku is only 21. In World Youth, Junior and African Champs, he has always run the 1500, and had a 3:29.50 for 3rd at Monaco last year. But he also won the WC (Jr) 8Km cross country in 2010. He had a 7:30.99 in 2012 and 13:03.80 for 5000 last year, then won the World Indoor 3000, out-kicking Bernard Lagat. Alamirew won at Shanghai, so beating him is quite an achievement, not to mention Soi, Rop, Koech, Kipkoech and Gebrhiwet!

Lagat was not even in the race, nor was 13:02 man Ben True, and the pace was not ultra fast, 2:35, 5:14 (the first kilo led by German Fernandez, BTW).
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA

9. Collapse Details
    It was quite warm down on the track for the 5000, and fairly windy (as it usually is in the afternoon at Hayward).

Just as a paced marathon is almost an entirely different event from a championship marathon, a 5000 at Stanford is almost a different event from a 5000 at Eugene, even if both are paced. You simply start suffering a lot earlier, which, I would guess, caught a few athletes off guard.

Chris Derrick told me that that kind of race favors him, since he's a "grinder".