Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What has happened to Jacko Gill?
    Have not heard anything lately. Is he injured? Is he still a junior? Is he in college or has he decided to go the get strong and throw route? He has great local incentives with Walsh beating his national record. Anyone think he might just fold up and fade away? Is his light getting dimmer?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: What has happened to Jacko Gill?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye Catcher
    Have not heard anything lately. Is he injured? Is he still a junior? Is he in college or has he decided to go the get strong and throw route? He has great local incentives with Walsh beating his national record. Anyone think he might just fold up and fade away? Is his light getting dimmer?
    A while back I was as caught up in the hoopla as anyone. Now, I'm on the Ryan Crouser bandwagon for SP/DT future massive studness.

3. Collapse Details
    You can read much about Mr Gill (along with his SPing contemporaries) in this very long thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45853

He competes very sporadically.

He isn't injured as far as I know. His last comp was at NZ champs (29 March) where he was beaten by Walsh (throwing 19.93m).

He is no longer a junior, but is still 19 years of age (dob Dec 20, 1994).

He isn't in college, and in fact left High School early (I don't believe he graduated). His sister did attend Southern Methodist (she was a HTer), as did one of his former coaches (Courtney Ireland). On the coaching front he shifted again in Sept 2013 - this time to former NZ record holder Les Mills, one time coach of Beatrice Faumuina. See here: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11128226

He hasn't announced 2014 plans, but he has been selected in the NZ team for Commonwealth Games in late July in Glasgow.

There's more on Gill's past year here: http://athletics.org.nz/Events/ArtMID/4 ... r%E2%80%99

I'd say there's still some chance he'll break through as a credible senior thrower, but the odds are diminishing a little each month...

4. Collapse Details
    Thank you AS for your update. And Marlow, you are right about Crouser, he is improving on a nice balanced schedule in both the discus and the shot.

5. Collapse Details
    don'cha think he's coming off the injured list?
    don'cha think he threw recently just to qualify for the commonwealth games?
    don'cha think a guy who threw at age 18 20+ shot and will never get better (and he's growing a lot) ?
    whops, he threw the 20+ at age 16. screwed up the analysis.

he needs to show something soon.

6. Collapse Details
    Thank you AS for your update. And Marlow, you are right about Crouser, he is improving on a nice balanced schedule in both the discus and the shot.
    That's right! All that 12 lbs, 5kg, 6kg stuff is meaningless when you hit Senior. Look at Joe Kovacs. Where was he when he was 16? All I know is he is now at 21.52 (70-7 1/4) with the real shot.

7. Collapse Details
    It is a bit rich to write off Jacko who is still only 19 years and 6 months old.

With the 7.26kg he threw 20.38 while still 16 years old.

He got injured a year later while still 17 and poised to throw close to 21m. I was there that evening. His last warm up throw was a legit throw of 20.75 in terms of staying in the ring etc. Unfortunately on his first competition throw he injured his ankle which knocked him out for many months.

In August last year he threw 23.00m with the 6.00kg to smash the world junior record.

His next competition was in March this year when he was coming back from a hamstring strain. Although I understand the strain was not major it still affected his ability to train fully and to get back into competition. So he throws 19.93 and this currently ranks him 34 world wide for 2014.

How many 19 year old shot putters have ever thrown 19.93 in the 7.26kg? But what do we have? There seem to be a few naysayers already out there consigning Jacko to the dustbin of history.

Let's see what he does later this year. He has the Commonwealth Games in July. I presume he will have 1 or 2 warm-up competitions. Mind you in saying that, Jacko has shown in the past he doesn't need warm up competitions before destroying everyone in a major competition.

8. Collapse Details
    So he's 19.5 yrs. old, and he hasn't been fully healthy/fit for the last 2.5 years or so. That's enough to make one pessimistic about his senior career.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki
    Let's see what he does later this year. He has the Commonwealth Games in July. I presume he will have 1 or 2 warm-up competitions. Mind you in saying that, Jacko has shown in the past he doesn't need warm up competitions before destroying everyone in a major competition.
    Apples and oranges, major junior competitions, which don't matter anymore, now he's up against new players who throw 22m with the big one.
    I have two questions: Why does he hardly ever compete(even when not injured) and why is he injured so much? He seems to enjoy training much more than competing and i find that very strange.

10. Collapse Details
    He does seem to enjoy his weight training. Maybe he'll switch to Worlds Strongest Man competitions when he's older. (and there is only a hint of sarcasm there, I genuinely wouldnt be surprised if he switched to some type of strength/lifting sport)

I do agree with Powell; he has been injured a lot for someone so young, pushing himself to the limit and that is worrying.