Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Oxy High Performance
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by booond
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Centro's fastest 1500 ever on U.S. soil and fastest ever before July.
    Not shocked. He looked totally in command.
    He gives that impression in so many races; one of my favorite runners of all time to watch, actually.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk

Plus, for me, the livestream was so bad (90% pauses and skips) that I finally turned it off after 90 minutes (first half of the meet).
    After turning it off, waited a few minutes, then turned it on.....and the rest of the meet (both 5K's) worked perfectly!
    I only got to watch the first 90 minutes of races when the videos came out after the meet was over!!

(And don't tell me about how to fix that, because I wasn't the only one who complained about it!! I've had livestreams work perfectly, so it was THIS livestream, not my computer, that was at fault!!)
    So, others had little problem and after you turned if off and started it again you had no problems at all. Me thinks that it might have had more to do with you than with their streaming.

3. Collapse Details
    Sure, the temps affected the results, but this still wasn't of the same quality as last year's version.

Last year, you had a major HSR (broken by over 6 seconds!!), Simpson winning the 800, and the Farah-Rupp Show in the 5K, not to mention fast 5K's by Huddle and Moser!
    Yeah, I enjoyed last year's meet more as so many people were trying to get qualifiers, so there was more on the line. Plus, the heat wasn't as much of a factor.

About Carrie.
    The Twitterverse heavily criticized her during the meet.
    I love her commentating!!
    Love her accent, her knowledge (from an elite's POV), and her folksiness (sp?).
    Major ditto here! I only wish she had been on camera a bit during those interviews. NBC made a huge improvement by adding her to their team.

I do like the crazy Flotrack guys, too, as they are just kinda flaky but so passionate about the sport.

Overall, worth staying up past 1am for me and then getting up early for work today, showing up with blood-shot eyes.

4. Collapse Details
    I also thought she (and he) did a good job.

5. Collapse Details
    If I am not mistaken, this is the guy at the mic with Tollfeson.

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... s_pau.html

6. Collapse Details
    What makes the Flotrack guys flakey? They are knowledgeable, totally connected to the sport. They seem to be able to identify runners on sight, on the fly, to a depth that hardly any other announcers can come close to. Especially at the university level. And they are over-the-top passionate.

I would much rather listen to them than the measured, more "professional" announcers. I feel like I'm sitting in the stands with my running buddies, which is the way every track meet should be watched.

This is no commentary on stadium announcers. I don't get to meets often enough to have an opinion.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pickle47
    What makes the Flotrack guys flakey? They are knowledgeable, totally connected to the sport. They seem to be able to identify runners on sight, on the fly, to a depth that hardly any other announcers can come close to. Especially at the university level. And they are over-the-top passionate.

I would much rather listen to them than the measured, more "professional" announcers. I feel like I'm sitting in the stands with my running buddies, which is the way every track meet should be watched.

This is no commentary on stadium announcers. I don't get to meets often enough to have an opinion.
    Perhaps flakey is the wrong adjective. Maybe nerdy? I love 'em and agree with everything you say! They seem to have a personal rapport with so many of the athletes and you can learn a lot just listening to them.

8. Collapse Details
    The link to the Oxy results posted on the front page no longer works as such (goes to CIF South Sect 2 results). Here is the functional link:

http://www.royalresults.com/results/201 ... 205-15.htm

9. Collapse Details
    I agree re the fun to listen to Flotrack guys...their knowledge, familiarity with many of the athletes and enthusiasm makes the difference.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by booond
    Quote Originally Posted by lovetorun
    It seems that Galen Rupp and Kim Conley have something in common: A very impressive indoor season, but looking mediocre by comparison so far outdoors. I know...it hard to peak twice in a season, but it seems the outdoor ought to be more important than indoor.
    Rupp didn't look good but it was hot and it's his season debut. Conley has yet to run a 5k this year and set a pb in the 10k earlier so I'm not sure where the criticism for her is coming.
    Don't mean to be critical...just observing. Conley's excellent indoor mile and 3000m times would suggest a 10,000m closer to 31:00, and her 1500m racing outdoor, even though she is focusing on the longer events now, show a loss of fitness: 2 @ about 4:11 and not competitive in the race. As opposed to looking stunning and winning indoors.