Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational
    ^^ Before this thread, I had never heard of her. Yet more evidence that I am out of the loop (any loop). She has a ways to go to be a factor on the track (at least as far as running competition is concerned), but her 15:55.00 in this meet is a significant step forward. Previous best was 16:41.82, from the Italian championships last year.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Po
    ^^ Before this thread, I had never heard of her. Previous best was 16:41.82.
    Let's be real. If she had been a homely 16:40 performer, NO ONE but immediate family members would have cared even a little bit.

3. Collapse Details
    Not really; people in the US would have noted a college runner that dropped down from 16:40s to 15:55. Not that it matters but I did recognize her name when I saw the results, without it having a particular point of reference (e.g., Miss Italy comp).

4. Collapse Details
    Helen Clitheroe's 15:31.76 5000 meter mark looks like it might be #2 all-time for 40-44 age group women. The record is 15:20.59 by Romania's Elena Fidatov from back in 2000 at the Romanian National Champs, coming back from a two-year doping ban. Clitheroe hit the big 40 in January.

I can't confirm Clitheroe's ranking as I haven't found an updated master's listing since 2012, although according to Wikipedia, Fidatov still holds the record.

5. Collapse Details
    What happened to Ann Willard? First of all I thought she was Ann Pierce now and secondly she was second to last in her steeplechase return in 10:18+.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kuha
    Let's be real. If she had been a homely 16:40 performer, NO ONE but immediate family members would have cared even a little bit.
    I agree, but there is nothing wrong with calling attention to her. This is part of the overall problem with marketing the sport in the US, as the average American male cares far more about someone like Anna Kournikova or an out-of-shape Lolo Jones than a far more talented, yet less glamorous player. I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

I only wish she was over here competing in the NCAA so that she might have a good opportunity to improve her athletic prospects; however I suspect that she is making serious lira over in Italy.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Duncan
    .......I only wish she was over here competing in the NCAA so that she might have a good opportunity to improve her athletic prospects........
    Liar, Liar, pants on fire

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Duncan
    I suspect that she is making serious lira over in Italy.
    If she's being paid in lira she's definitely in need of a college education 8-)

I think you mean Euro (unless she's actually opting for Turkish remuneration, which could explain her performance improvement :twisted.

9. Collapse Details
    As long as we're talking about the women's 5k, here's a couple more notables. Rochelle Kanuho won Section 2 in a near 38 sec PB 15:34.85 in her 1st year out of college. She has improved every year since her freshman year at Northern Arizona, running only a 20:12. Also, Rachel Johnson, a junior at Baylor, finished 2nd to Rochelle in 15:39.42 (54 sec PB). Looks like lots of emerging talent in US women's distance running.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lovetorun
    What happened to Ann Willard? First of all I thought she was Ann Pierce now and secondly she was second to last in her steeplechase return in 10:18+.
    I dunno, but I wonder the same thing. She's kinda been MIA the last couple of years.

I've always been a huge fan since she made her first Olympic team with her bubbly attitude and dyed hair. She has always had such fantastic range, sub 2:00 800, sub 4:00 1500, through steeple.

I'm always pulling for Anna and Morgan.