Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Edward Cheserek competing at Payton Jordan?
    Anyone know if Edward Cheserek is competing at Payton Jordan? Wish he would be in the 5000m

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Edward Cheserek competing at Payton Jordan?
    Why would he run?

3. Collapse Details
    To get in a fast race and get a PR. Plus, the way he is running, he could surprise us (again).

4. Collapse Details
    Lalang's CR in the mile didn't help him much at the NCAA indoor meet. The previous two CR holders of the indoor men's mile also failed to win at the NCAAs. Cheserek's coaches are likely focusing on the conference, pre-championship and NCAA meets, not PBs.

5. Collapse Details
    Why this obsession with athletes running times instead of racing and beating their competitors in championship races?

There is literally zero upside to Cheserek running a fast time at Payton Jordan, unless he wants to compete at the Commonwealth Games for Kenya, which there is zero chance of that happening.

6. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    if Cheserek cared about a fast 5K he would have had it set up for him at the Oregon Relays a couple of weeks back. They intentionally ran for a time that would "guarantee" a place in the Regional, and nothing more.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott
    Why this obsession with athletes running times instead of racing and beating their competitors in championship races?
    How do I explain this? Oh, let me count the ways! :P

Briefly, check out the thread on Mo Farah being considered the GOAT!
    Many/most of the comments said he needed to get the WR (or come VERY close to it!) before he'd earn that title!
    Totally agree!

Same with Cheserek.
    He could win NCAA titles with times like 13:30 or 13:45, using a 54 second last lap.
    All that would prove (a la Farah et al) is that he was the fastest 400 runner in a distance race!

Having a fast time tells me he's used ALL (Well, most!!) of his potential....which Is what I believe ALL athletes strive for!!

A medal or trophy is nice to hang on the wall or place on the mantle.
    A fast time is a memory of when you put it ALL on the line....win, lose, or draw!!

No contest!!

And BTW, I notice that Kennedy Kithuka is entered in the PJ 10K!!
    HE doesn't seem to be saving himself for Conference or the NC's!!

8. Collapse Details
    So that settles it: given the team/scholarship context here, we all know exactly why PRs are a secondary concern for him.

9. Collapse Details
    KK's considerations are entirely different than Cheserek's. KK is not in a team race of note, and he likely will not be going for double team points as a result. Also, the several years of age difference is one reason to be careful about burning the candle too hot for EC. Finally, KK did what indoors? Is this his first hard race since November? How does that compare to someone that is already the premier athlete of the meet in the first two championships this year?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott
    How do I explain this? Oh, let me count the ways! :P

Briefly, check out the thread on Mo Farah being considered the GOAT!
    Many/most of the comments said he needed to get the WR (or come VERY close to it!) before he'd earn that title!
    Totally agree!

Same with Cheserek.
    He could win NCAA titles with times like 13:30 or 13:45, using a 54 second last lap.
    All that would prove (a la Farah et al) is that he was the fastest 400 runner in a distance race!

Having a fast time tells me he's used ALL (Well, most!!) of his potential....which Is what I believe ALL athletes strive for!!

A medal or trophy is nice to hang on the wall or place on the mantle.
    A fast time is a memory of when you put it ALL on the line....win, lose, or draw!!

No contest!!

And BTW, I notice that Kennedy Kithuka is entered in the PJ 10K!!
    HE doesn't seem to be saving himself for Conference or the NC's!!
    He's a frosh who is obviously being brought along with some forethought. Get a grip.