Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Why Johnny the jock in the NCAA can't read
    This, I believe this type of behavior is common with most colleges. Education of young people is secondary to athletics and the monster salaries of coaches. What a joke our system has become.

http://news.yahoo.com/unc-reading-speci ... --spt.html

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Why Johnny the jock in the NCAA can't read
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye Catcher
    This, I believe this type of behavior is common with most colleges.
    Define 'common'.
    Occurs? Yes.
    Typical or normal? No.

3. Collapse Details
    Administrator

4. Collapse Details
    Obviously I wasn't a fan of English class, but that fact has nothing to do with my ability to read. I think most people can read, not everyone can write.

What I've noticed in young people is they'd rather do other things than read. I own a 10,000 book library and none of my kids care about that and I've tried. Most the clasic authors are there along with an incredible sci fi/fantasy collection. Oh yeah.....westerns!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon
    What I've noticed in young people is they'd rather do other things than read.
    News flash! That includes a vast majority of older people too. There are MANY more things I'd rather do than read!!

6. Collapse Details
    Actually, many of them like to read ... their text messages.

Back in the days, people used to "kill time" by reading newspapers, books, magazines, etc. (Unless there was a TV in the wait room / area.) And then, some started listening to music on their walkman, and later ipod. But now most people are staring at their cell phone, and in many cases they are "reading" something.

Some cannot even stop reading their text messages, even if there is no time to kill. They cannot walk or drive cars without reading text messages. It is such an important activity for them that other people's life or sometimes even their own life is less important. I sometimes joke "life, liberty and text messages" in hope that people take the first two at least as seriously as the third.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    What I've noticed in young people is they'd rather do other things than read.
    News flash! That includes a vast majority of older people too. There are MANY more things I'd rather do than read!!
    News flash! I know a lot of avid readers, personally I read every night and read a book a week since around 15. That's a lot of books.

In my life experiences I've noticed kids read less today than they ever did. All my sisters grew up reading as did all my relatives. I have friends with huge libraries. Friends who trade books with me even today.

I'd wager there are less books read today by those under 21 than at any other time. I'd read the entire "John Carter on Mars" saga by 19. All of Edgar Allan Poe and Jack London by 21. We don't see that anymore.

8. Collapse Details
    In my life experiences I've noticed kids read less today than they ever did.
    You misperceive. They are reading MORE than ever . . . just not books. They read their electronics incessantly. And if you think books are 'better', I challenge that as well. 95% of what people read is pure 'entertainment' (cf. TV shows), which is FINE. There have never been many people who curl up with War and Peace for their 'leisure'.

9. Collapse Details
    I learn more from a well-researched mystery/thriller than anyone would from War and Peace.

And no, "normal" kids today DON'T read as much as previous generations. Given the choice, they watch stupid videos or send ridiculous pictures back and forth.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gm
    And no, "normal" kids today DON'T read as much as previous generations. Given the choice, they watch stupid videos or send ridiculous pictures back and forth.
    ??!!
    I am surrounded by almost 1000 of them every day and they are indeed reading 'stuff' MUCH more than my generation (Baby Boomers) ever did! They have reading material in their pockets and pull it whenever they have a chance. We did not. In school they are also much more widely read: when I assign a chapter in a book, or a poem, or a short story, or an essay, or a play, they have to read not only the assignment (to pass my quizzes, which are generously sprinkled with 'details' that don't make it into Sparknotes), but they are also reading Sparknotes and other sites to ensure they understood what they read. The internet engages them in all sorts of fruitful ways to make their base of knowledge much broader than my generation's.

[and . . . anticipating a criticism that MY experience is somehow abnormal, I'm also speaking about the kids I interact with from other, shall we say, less advantaged, schools.]