Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Flotrack now charging for video
    Why do people complain about paying for video to watch meets otherwise unavailable except in person for years? How much BillVol would it be to actually travel to the meet and watch with a ticket to the event, parking, gas, rental car, plane ticket, hotel and meals away from home???

This is why track will never be a true professional sport. So called serious fans can't even be moved to pay.

Now I do have issues with the poor quality of Flotrack as others have mentioned and last weekend I wanted to log in and watch on my Samsung Tab or a friend's I-pad and neither would load to show the Mt SAC live coverage! What gives Flotrack?

Anyone else experience same issue or find a work around to view on such devices?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott
    Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Again reinforcing that track and field fans are the cheapest people in the world of fandom. Nothing in life is free, ultimately.
    I understand charging for video when it's happening, but charging for video after the fact is the epitome of cheapness.

It's not even like their product is any good.
    Bandwidth costs don't care if the video is new or old.

The epitome of cheapness is wanting to get something for free that costs money to produce & deliver.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown
    The epitome of cheapness is wanting to get something for free that costs money to produce & deliver.
    As loathe as I am to actually PAY for the things I want (!), denying others of their RIGHT to make a living wage from what they do is, simply put, UNAMERICAN. Is not Flotrack's model not the epitome of capitalism?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    As loathe as I am to actually PAY for the things I want (!), denying others of their RIGHT to make a living wage from what they do is, simply put, UNAMERICAN. Is not Flotrack's model not the epitome of capitalism?
    Absolutely, Marlow!!
    And using Flotrack as Capitalism's "model", I would say, maybe Capitalism can use some improvement!!
    Here's a couple of examples:

1. Use your profits to make your product as "perfect" as can be. This means that when providing a livestream, it doesn't pause & stutter every 2 seconds, doesn't jump forward 20+ seconds in a split-second (to counter-act the pauses), co-ordinates the audio with the visual, puts cameras where they can FOLLOW the runners around the track.

2. Don't follow the "greedy capitalism" model that says, "HIDE the fact that you're NOT getting what the advertising SEEMS to be saying you're getting! One example is the article about the Penn Relays. The first several paragraphs are all about the MASSIVE amount of ALL-DAY coverage Flotrack is providing. HIDDEN at the VERY BOTTOM is the fact that NONE of the World vs USA will be part of that "MASSIVE ALL-DAY" coverage!! Thus, they get people to sign up under what COULD be construed as false advertising....or at least DECEPTIVE advertising!!

3. Get better announcers & audio people! One or two of your guys are GREAT! But one or two really SUCK!! And the audio? In several interviews, you can't even hear the questions! (And occasionally can't hear the athlete!!) Also, how about LONGER interviews! Those 1 minute jobs seem like "trailers" for longer interviews, not as full interviews!!

Be a GOOD capitalist, and I'd be more than happy to shell out the $19.99 per month for the product!!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Exactly. And if this stuff isn't "worth it" to folks here, why should it be worth anything to anyone at all?

(However, I remain convinced that the most meaningful 'support' is butts-in-the-seats at the meets themselves. Yes, this is difficult both logistically and financially, but it seems to me to be the best measure of actual fan support.)

6. Collapse Details
    ...assuming there are any profits. When I think about those guys flying all over the country every week with their expensive equipment, I doubt that a handful of people paying $20/mo generates enough to pay the bills.

As for the post-race interviews, it's either those or a mixed-area, and many of the those meets don't have a press area. So it's either a noisy interview, stalk Jordan Hasay back to her hotel and get arrested, or nothing.

7. Collapse Details
    Good for Flotrack Re: Flotrack now charging for video
    YES!
    Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Again reinforcing that track and field fans are the cheapest people in the world of fandom. Nothing in life is free, ultimately.
    That is why I do not understand all commotions about Boston bandits. Stop bothering these 4 guys. No one really cares you ran 42 km in 4:10.

I honestly want T&F fans at least watch the live meets on internet such as recent ACC championship. This way cable TV would show more meets.

SEC TV will be broadcasting from middle of August, SEC TV will cater mostly to American Football fans. They must fill the rest of time with SEC swim, track, gymnastics and such. This means Good bye SEC indoor and outdoor free on ESPN3 and you should get subscription to SEC TV and pay for.

8. Collapse Details
    Re: Good for Flotrack Re: Flotrack now charging for vi
    Quote Originally Posted by GHM
    I honestly want T&F fans at least watch the live meets on internet such as recent ACC championship. This way cable TV would show more meets.
    I am often overcome with guilt that I, whom I consider to be among the top 0.0001% of hard-core track fans, do not e-patronize the events that ARE available to me. So I analyze WHY that is (the not watching part, not the guilt part) and it strikes me that most track meets on the internet (I'll DVR ANY meet that's on TV, as I can zoom through all the talk) are just too 'sparse'. They do not have enough 'meat' to justify the time it takes to watch. I'll slavishly watch the DLs in the summer, because they have boiled the essence down to 2 hours of GREAT ACTION. Same with the Pre meet and any live televised meet, because they HAVE to. There's a lesson there for MOST meets (obviously not conference meets).

9. Collapse Details
    I don't understand most of the complaining on this thread. While I, as a college student, do not have the $120/year or $20/month for FlotrackPro, I have to assume that many of the people who post on this board who regularly can afford to travel to major national and/or international meets, have a little money set aside for such purchases.
    Also, I have never had any video/streaming quality issues with Flotrack, both races and other videos, both before and after FlotrackPro (My friend's account that I used once). Also, since FlotrackPro, they have streamed waaaayyy more meets (Penn Relays for example). All race videos are free to watch within a few days of any meet. They have also started their series "Inside [blank athlete]" and "The Program", featuring elite athletes and top collegiate programs (these series are never available free, but I've heard good things about them). All in all, FlotrackPro has led to a lot of good things, even if I haven't been able to experience most of them.

10. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk

1. Use your profits to make your product as "perfect" as can be. This means that when providing a livestream, it doesn't pause & stutter every 2 seconds, doesn't jump forward 20+ seconds in a split-second (to counter-act the pauses), co-ordinates the audio with the visual, puts cameras where they can FOLLOW the runners around the track.
    The first three issues are more likely on your end than theirs. The last issue is often limited by the facility and/or meet management.

3. Get better announcers & audio people! One or two of your guys are GREAT! But one or two really SUCK!! And the audio? In several interviews, you can't even hear the questions! (And occasionally can't hear the athlete!!) Also, how about LONGER interviews! Those 1 minute jobs seem like "trailers" for longer interviews, not as full interviews!!
    Post-race interviews are a pain. The athletes often just finished a race and haven't even had a chance to cool down. More often than not, they'd like to get out of there and do their thing, not chit chat with FloTrack and the other reporters all day long.