Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    He knew she was in the bathroom as much as he denies it. He emptied his magazine in there. How is this not premeditated? How long do you have to plan it to make it premeditated? The mind reels .
    Pego nails it. I fear that to be a judge today you must be incapable of using your brain to find the truth, you must be gifted however in finding a legal loophole by which to benefit the higher paid lawyer.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    I am no expert on the rules & criteria of proof/conviction, etc. in SA's legal system, but I am not surprised that he was not found guilty of "premeditated murder" -- that standard seems to have required more evidence of, well, premeditation. I did not follow this case closely, but it seemed like evidence of premeditation was lacking or questionable. As for "murder," I don't know -- it kind of seemed like that to me, but I guess that's the difference I don't understand between that term and "culpable homicide" (about which I guess we will find out tomorrow).
    Exactly...I agree with the judge's ruling.

He's been found guilty of culpable homicide, which is manslaughter to us. It always did seem like a crime of passion to me....

Next up...the sentencing.
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

3. Collapse Details

His actions sentenced that girl to eternal death!!

The least he should get is 15 years of imprisonment!!

4. Collapse Details

Guilty of culpable homicide (aka manslaughter):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...able-homicide/

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    Exactly...I agree with the judge's ruling.

He's been found guilty of culpable homicide, which is manslaughter to us. It always did seem like a crime of passion to me....

Next up...the sentencing.
    I don't think manslaughter equates with crime of passion. Manslaughter equals "unintentional" COP equals "I couldn't help myself" usually not a defense in America.

6. Collapse Details

I think it's the Judge's call. Like it or not.

7. Collapse Details

Not that it will change the course of world events but the judge got it wrong..
    I do not know the distinction between USA manslaughter and South Africa culpable omicide...nor does it matter... A fit of passion or panic does not excuse deliberately killing or trying to kill someone when you are in no danger..he was definitely trying to kill someone, knew who was in the bathroom and was not in personal danger... ... his ludicrous testimony strains credulity..he is a murderer.

8. Collapse Details

At least they were of the same race, because I can only imagine how much worse the reaction to this verdict would be if they weren't.

9. Collapse Details

I wonder why the judge is being picked on by all these journalists...is it race again?

There are those who out of ignorance are blaming the judge...the case of premeditated murder was thrown out simply because the much-heralded Nel, the lead prosecutor, failed to prove the prosecution's case that it was premeditated murder. I watched aspects of the trial, and that was obvious to me. It's not the judge's job to do the prosecutor's job for him.

Given that Nel had clearly failed to make the case for premeditated murder, culpable homicide was the only option available.

The only thing the judge has control over is the sentence...we now have to wait to see what Pistorius receives.
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

10. Collapse Details

I agree that the judge had no choice but to find against premeditated murder. The only evidence for premeditation is what was in Pistorious' mind at the time. The txts and email evidence, his arrogant attitude, did not even begin to add up to anything resembling premeditation.

The sentencing aspect of this case is quite fascinating in the way the South African process works - a trial within a trial. Pistorious deserves to go to jail for several years.

Also could you imagine the uproar if he "gets off" and is allowed to compete again and then has a stellar 2015 season. It would make the Gatlin AOY debate look like a walk n the park.