Facts, Not Fiction

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I highly recommend Netflix's new 4 part series on the Central Park Five injustice "When They See Us." I would also recommend watching (again if you haven't seen it) Ken Burns documentary on the same subject. Interesting to compare the subjective to the objective. Get a round hole and shove a square peg into it until it fits.
    Oprah is going to be doing a show tonight on this series and will interview the five innocent (now men) boys.

2. Collapse Details

Interesting that the documentary about this case 5 years ago had little impact, and that a Netflix drama did. 2 Prosecutors now getting hammered, losing jobs. Will an official apology be next?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    Interesting that the documentary about this case 5 years ago had little impact, and that a Netflix drama did. 2 Prosecutors now getting hammered, losing jobs. Will an official apology be next?
    Doubt it.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/netflix...omments_sector

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    Fairstein (investigator/prosecutor) has stepped down from all of the boards she was on and has lost her publisher. The other prosecutor just left her job at Columbia. DeBlasio made sure money was awarded ($41m) and since he's Mayor he could offer an apology for the city.
    As to Fairstein, she says: "Mr. Reyes’s confession, DNA match and claim that he acted alone required that the rape charges against the five be vacated. I agreed with that decision, and still do. But the other charges, for crimes against other victims, should not have been vacated."
    So she admits that none of the five raped the jogger, but wants to focus on the other misdemeanor and battery charges. For which one served 13 years. DuVernay may have shown scenes that were not accurate, film makers always do, but the injustice still stands.
    Last edited by jeremyp; 06-14-2019 at 07:34 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    wow! With season 5 of Luther now available, binged through all 5 seasons. Incredible stuff.

6. Collapse Details

Been watching Altered Carbon, a Netflix sci-fi series based on the 2002 novel. It presents a world hundreds of years in the future where everybody has a chip implanted at the base of their brain which stores their consciousness, so they can be resurrected after bodily death by transplanting the chip into a new body... if the chip is intact. The bodies are supplied by adult-sized clones grown in incubators.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    WOW! Just waded through Chernobyl in short order. I can see why it has an over-the-top 9.5 from IMDB.

8. Collapse Details

Chernobyl is the definition of a modern horror story.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    my immediate reaction is that (at least as presented) everybody in chain-smoking Pripyat was doomed to die of lung cancer anyway!

(not to make light of a horridly grim situation)

10. Collapse Details

Just saw this. I'm not sure of it's authenticity, but invariably it's going to be a docudrama as opposed to history. Never realized we (they) came so close to a 2 megaton nuclear explosion. Also interesting is on IMDB they have a ton of user reviews and many of them are from Russia and countries that used to be USSR. There are 2500+ reviews. Way more than normal. Many of them personal experiences with the disaster. The Russians also came out with their own movie and put it out on You tube. Guess who was the villain? Yup: CIA. You tube pulled it. I think Florida has 3 plants. One of them 3 hours away.
    Last edited by jeremyp; 07-30-2019 at 08:11 PM.