Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Blaine Lindgren

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Blaine Lindgren
    My impression now is that he did indeed dip under the tape and THOUGHT that was why he lost, when in actuality, Hayes had already beaten him to the finish .07 sec earlier.

2. Collapse Details
    ... the 45 min delay - happened or no? ... not very authoritatively documented. but referenced in some quarters. taken on a life of its own, as alluded to here?

3. Collapse Details
    I don't believe there was a 45 minute delay in posting the results. Hayes Jones now lives in Detroit. At least he was in Detroit. A friend of mine talked with him recently.

4. Collapse Details
    Double - and Jones was asked about this stuff?

5. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    those references are, to be polite, useless. None is a contemporary report, backing up Lindgren's contention. Lindgren himself, after the fact, seems to be the source of all of them.

6. Collapse Details
    gh - I've come to that conclusion. My original questions have, however, been answered.

7. Collapse Details
    No, I don't think they talked about the Tokyo race, but they did reminisce about all the indoor meets which have vanished in the United States.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar
    reminisce about all the indoor meets which have vanished in the United States.
    Agree and sad - there were many epic showdowns - great competitions in those. Not to deflect from the hurdlers but my favorites were the McGrady - Evans thrillers. And the hurdles always seemed close. My brothers and I always stayed until the PV status was determined, normally the last event finished. Halcyon days.

9. Collapse Details
    Of course the ideal solution in cases such as this would be to show the SEIKO (not Bulova at Tokyo 1964) photo finish, which must be archived somewhere.
    However, the video linked above also says it all. If you freeze it at 0:58 you can get a frame where Jones has his lead foot on the 109 m line and Lindgren has his on the 108 m line. While Jones is in his full-speed running position Lindgren is running in a less efficient jack-knife position.
    Advance a couple of frames more and you can see Jones at the finish line while Lindgren is not.
    I can also confirm that on the occasion (I followed the meet through radio/TV/newspapers) there was absolutely no confusion after the race as to who had won it.
    This is just another example of an "urban legend" that spreads quicker than ever because of people (who have no personal knowledge of the issue) quoting each other on the internet - thereby almost instantaneously creating the impression that it must be true because you have read in so many places.

10. Collapse Details
    jla

I don't think you read the posts very carefully