Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Blaine Lindgren

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Blaine Lindgren
    I've read accounts where Lindgren actually finished first in '64 Oly hurdles, but he ducked under the finish tape. Apparently there were photos taken that verified this. Even so, Hayes Jones was declared the winner. Controversy or no - anyone?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Blaine Lindgren
    Hmmm, wiki sez you're right, but the event article in the T&FN issue (Oct/Nov 64) doesn't mention it at all and Jones's time 13.6, is a tenth ahead of Lindgren. There is a quote from Lindgren that he leaned too soon and that's why he was beaten.

3. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Wiki strikes again: Jones 13.67, Lindgren 13.74

4. Collapse Details
    mmm - one article was based on face to face interview with Lindgren, who reportedly conveyed the under the tape thing - AND that he had even been announced as the winner - which was then changed 45 min after finish of race, after officials deliberated. But no mention in tfn about this is .... odd? He (Blaine) reportedly has a picture of the finish supporting his winning. The plot thickens, methinks

5. Collapse Details
    i've also heard this from other sources the last 5-10 yrs - and not from wiki - which has blurbed pretty much the same thing for last ?yrs. :shock: so I'm just trying to do some sleuthing

6. Collapse Details
    Here's the pic - but it's after the line. If you hold a ruler up to it and place it parallel to the finish line, Jones is ahead there.

http://blog.krrb.com/wp-content/uploads ... /1964.jpeg

7. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    that pic is irrelevant; the only one that matters was the Bulova image from the photo finish camera. It might be instructive at this point to clarify, just in case there's any doubt, that those cameras shoot an image right at the finish line and nowhere else.

And that they are positioned such that there is no such thing as "under the tape"; they take a picture from track level all the way to a foot or so above everybody's head. You can duck under an eyebeam (Colin Jackson did it all the time), but not one of these.

The T&FN story makes no mention of the race being particularly close, nor does it mention any delay in coming up w/ the result. And given the 0.07 differential, there wouldn't have been any delay; the judges would have seen instantly who the winner was, with no debate required.

My guess is that Lindgren, not understanding the technology, saw a regular-camera image and misinterpreted what it said.

8. Collapse Details
    He had probably run 250 miles the previous week and was a bit addled.

9. Collapse Details
    good pic Marlow
    this is looking like more and more sources are reporting Lindgren was announced as the winner, then officials changed his placing to 2nd ... about 45 min later. Jones and Lindgren had several 'close' races in meets prior to Oly

10. Collapse Details
    unusual to announce a winner prior to being assured via technology? Didn't it produce fairly immediate and official results. Then again - no tfn mention