Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    corrupted U.S. place names
    Administrator
    You know, things like Vienna, Georgia, pronounced VYE-enna, or Cairo, Indiana (KAY-ro).

While watching an episode of History Detectives the other day I was interested to learn that Charlotte, Michigan is char-LOTT.

That led me to a Michigan pronunciation website which included this bit:

<<"Char-LOTT": Charlotte, a Michigan village close to Lansing.
    Related: Durand, MI, pronounced "DUrand",
    Saline, pronounced "SuhLEEN",
    its neighbor "MYlun" (spelled Milan),
    and of course, Lake Orion, pronounced "OReeyun."

This phenomenon is what happens when townsfolk in the 1800's weren't quite sure how to pronounce "all them fancy French" town names, and is actually much more prevalent throughout Ohio (e.g., Delhi, OH, pronounced "Dell-High"; Lancaster, OH, pronounced "LANKster"; Marseilles, OH, pronounced "MarSAYLES", and my favorite, Bellefontaine, amazingly pronounced... "Bell Fountain"! Ohio Public Schools is all I'm sayin')>>

2. Collapse Details
    Re: corrupted U.S. place names
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    You know, things like Vienna, Georgia, pronounced VYE-enna, or Cairo, Indiana (KAY-ro).
    The anglicization of names used to perturb me till I toured Britain sevral years back and saw how BADLY they pronounced their own names. We stayed in a quaint B&B, but were non-plussed when the owner referred to the town as towsta. It was spelled Towcester. Don't get me started on Worcestershire (wustersher). :roll:

3. Collapse Details
    Edinburgh in the US is pronounced Edinborrow, but should be Edinborough.
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    The anglicization of names used to perturb me till I toured Britain sevral years back and saw how BADLY they pronounced their own names. We stayed in a quaint B&B, but were non-plussed when the owner referred to the town as towsta. It was spelled Towcester. Don't get me started on Worcestershire (wustersher). :roll:
    You'd not have been happy at Holy Cross, in Worcester, Mass.

Like the city of the same name in England, it's pronounced W??S-TER. Thanks to that distinctive Worcester accent, you may hear W??S-tah or W??S-tuh or even WISS-tah.
    http://www.holycross.edu/studentlife/wo ... t/say.html

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    Not! I was there (Scotland) and they ALL called it Edinbura. Not unlike New Orleans, which comes out Nawlins or Lousiville, which comes out Lou-a-vul.

It just struck me, we've done all this before. As Yogi said, it's like day-ja-vou all over again.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    Not! I was there (Scotland) and they ALL called it Edinbura.
    Yes, Bura. Borough is pronounced Bura, in English, but now I think of it, not in the US. So not the best example to help you.

7. Collapse Details
    If we assume the olde country pronunciation is correct and anything else is corrupted, then you have to say that Birmingham should be pronounced the way the Brits do--with the last vowel being pronounced as a schwa. Certainly not the way they do it in Alabama, and I suspect not in Michigan either.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    If we assume the olde country pronunciation is correct
    I don't fall into that camp, but find the regional differences and the evolution of the pronunciations interesting. In England there is definitely a North/South divide for how to pronounce Bath and Newcastle.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    This phenomenon is what happens when townsfolk in the 1800's weren't quite sure how to pronounce "all them fancy French" town names, and is actually much more prevalent throughout Ohio (e.g., Delhi, OH, pronounced "Dell-High"; Lancaster, OH, pronounced "LANKster"; Marseilles, OH, pronounced "MarSAYLES", and my favorite, Bellefontaine, amazingly pronounced... "Bell Fountain"! Ohio Public Schools is all I'm sayin')>>
    My favorite is the tiny west central Ohio town of Russia--"Rooshie" to the locals.

Some are purposeful, such as the town of Berlin, which changed the emphasis to the first syllable during WWII.

10. Collapse Details
    Larger than most of the cities and towns mentioned is my current location: St. Louis.

Are you saying that Louis be pronounced with a silent "s"? Of course, the pronounciation of Missouri is an entire different thread...Then there is East St. Louis, Illinois where the s is pronounced in Louis, but not Illinois.