Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Clueless writing about our sport
    Quote Originally Posted by mal
    I was fortunate / old enough to have run on a fantastic grass/cinders track, and fast cinders only track and a clay track with cinders mixed.

They were all fast for fast runners. However none of them gave back like an artificial track.

Apart from the postcard I found tartan the quickest for a sprinter.
    I ran on a religious track in high school!

It was very Hole-y!!! :lol: :lol:

2. Collapse Details
    'm not sure who you are arguing with, but good luck!

I tossed in comments on Shoes/Spikes to indicate it's not the surface alone but all it facilitates, starting w/ lighter, more efficient footware--even if my 1955 Adidas were plenty light, compared to American shoes by Rawlings et al.

Don't need "luck" to rebut the specifics you were tossing out, starting w/ the notion that dropping a ball bearing had no bearing;~) on the argument (too unlike feet, right angle??), and on thru your putdown of "pseudo-science".

I'd sure hate to debate Evolution or Global Climate Change with you, no matter what side you took.

Glad the real expert/historians have weighed in w/ what we can only hope is the last word on this one.

3. Collapse Details
    Returning to the topic of this thread, even the EAA's official scribes are not immune, listing Sjoberg's ER at 2.43. I guess it could be a typo ...

http://www.european-athletics.org/news/ ... ml?cid=rss

4. Collapse Details
    I have to nominate the headline writer for this one, from NBC Sports:

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2014/0 ... -olympics/

Yohan Blake, Lolo Jones beaten at Adidas GP; no high jump WR
    With all of the impressive things happening at that meet, they focus on two who lost (one of whom wasn't remotely favored). Then they describe an absolutely amazing high jump competition by headlining not what happened, but what didn't happen.

The writer of the story deserves a shot, too, for reporting the high jump only in meters, making the height that they jumped as well as the world record meaningless to most American readers.

5. Collapse Details
    The classic mainstream media focus on the FAILURE to set a record BS. I've never seen a write-up on a good FB or Basketball game where the lack of a record setting performance was part of the headline.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cladthin
    The classic mainstream media focus on the FAILURE to set a record BS. I've never seen a write-up on a good FB or Basketball game where the lack of a record setting performance was part of the headline.
    You must have missed the NBA finals headline -- "James Again Fails to Break Chamberlain's Single Game Scoring Record, Heat Lose to Spurs."

:lol:

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Quote Originally Posted by cladthin
    You must have missed the NBA finals headline -- "James Again Fails to Break Chamberlain's Single Game Scoring Record, Heat Lose to Spurs."

:lol:
    You are right I did miss it along with everyone else.

8. Collapse Details
    In yesterday's Sacramento Bee, which is covering the meet extensively for obvious reasons, Joe Davidson, who usually writes a column about local athletes, wrote this:

"...Kim Conley overcame Jordan Hasay on the back stretch..."

I e-mailed him asking whether he actually watched the race, since Conley "overcame" Hasay on the home stretch, and he said he was right at the finish line. I replied asking whether he knew the difference between the backstretch and the homestretch. After a couple more exchanges, he finally wrote:

"And you're right - home stretch is more accurate than back stretch,
    come to think of it."

More accurate?

Well, not to be totally negative, I complemented the paper on, not the quality, but the FACT of the coverage, since the Bee normally provides almost zero coverage of athletics. He claimed that "we push for all we can get", presumably meaning himself and the other guy (whose name, of course, I can't remember) who sometimes writes about T&F.

So today, no obvious factual errors, but check out this sentence, re Mike Rodgers' 100-meter win:

"Forever a crowd-pleasing event, Rodgers won his second outdoor title since 2009 in clocking a 10.09-second effort, all the more impressive given he bore into a headwind of 1.7 meters per second."

This is one of the most horrible examples I've ever seen of a "dangling modifier", since the intended referent, "the 100 meters", does not even appear in the sentence. I weep for our language.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank
    I weep for our language.
    Weep not.
    As an AP English Language teacher and exam grader, I can tell you it's not the language that's in danger; it will soldier on just fine. It's the onset of 'short-hand' in-line messaging that's changing the way we communicate, for better or worse.
    It looks like we're reverting to the 1500s where we can spell and follow whatever grammar conventions we wish. Meanwhile Official-Speak, how government and big businesses use language, gets more stultified.
    I send my students out into the world armed with all the 'proper' knowledge of usage, but as I tell them, if you need to build credibility with whomever you are communicating, follow the rules, otherwise use the language as YOU wish - it's not set in stone.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank
    I weep for our language.
    Weep not.
    As an AP English Language teacher and exam grader, I can tell you it's not the language that's in danger; it will soldier on just fine.
    Not if people whose job it is to write butcher it like that. We are losing distinctions of meaning right and left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    It's the onset of 'short-hand' in-line messaging that's changing the way we communicate, for better or worse.
    That was not in-line messaging, nor was it a headline.

Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA