Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What's Your Most Interesting Genealogical Story or Find?
    Have you ever had an intriguing or history-related genealogical discovery, met someone and discovered you were related, or learned that a longtime acquaintance was actually kin?

2. Collapse Details

I share a last name with over 800,000 other Americans, and every single one of us is related (and no, we're not all from West Virginia), because only one man has ever immigrated to America with that name. He came to Boston in 1634! There's a web-site with over 500,000 of us in it, so I can find my 13th cousin!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    I share a last name with over 800,000 other Americans, and every single one of us is related (and no, we're not all from West Virginia), because only one man has ever immigrated to America with that name. He came to Boston in 1634! There's a web-site with over 500,000 of us in it, so I can find my 13th cousin!!
    One guy, eh? Is this the beginning of the [Wilt] Chamberlain line?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by kuha
    One guy, eh? Is this the beginning of the [Wilt] Chamberlain line?
    20,000 conquests to 20,000 (OK, more than 30,000) posts...An illustration of devolution at its finest.

5. Collapse Details

So I can find my 13th cousin!!
    I have found one of them! Do you want him back?
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

6. Collapse Details

flump and i just had a facebook message from our younger brother we didn't know existed !!!
    i deserve extra credit

7. Collapse Details

I share a last name with over 800,000 other Americans, and every single one of us is related (and no, we're not all from West Virginia), because only one man has ever immigrated to America with that name.
    That seems highly improbable, doesn't it?

8. Collapse Details

My wife and I went to Ireland last summer, in part to retrace my roots for fun. I knew that my family, the Cusacks, emigrated to Canada in the early 1800s from a small little town in County Tipperary. So, we scheduled an overnight stay in the town in an effort to "find" family (or rather, gravestones of my great-great-great-etc.. grandparents). I was armed with a print-out of a family history that my mother had researched years ago, but otherwise had nothing to go on.

When we arrived, the first thing we came across was a pub called "Cusack's," so we went in for a pint and dinner. I asked the bartender if the owner's last name was Cusack -- yes it was, but he wasn't in. He arrived about 30 minutes later.

I walked over to the bar and explained who I was and why I was there, showing him my family history print-out. He read it with extreme interest, then reached for his wallet and pulled out his own family history! We compared notes, and chatted for the next little bit. He then asked us if we were busy (we said no), and proceeded to take us on a 2-hr walking tour of the town.

The next day, he drove us to the nearest big village (Waterford) where his brother owned a hotel. We had a wonderful lunch with them, then got another driving tour of the area around the village where we were shown his childhood farm and church.

It was the best reunion of family I never knew I had!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    I share a last name with over 800,000 other Americans, and every single one of us is related (and no, we're not all from West Virginia), because only one man has ever immigrated to America with that name.
    That seems highly improbable, doesn't it?
    I did a little calculation. 275 years equals between 18 and 19 generations (if you allow 15 years/generation). 3 surviving children per couple would amount to close to 1.5 mil heads. Since the name follows the male side, half of it is very close to those 800,000 Marlow/Tafnuts.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Fortunately, all 800,000 of them don't suffer from the same compulsive posting disorder or the whole worldwideweb would have crashed years ago.