Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    2019 M-W Word of the Year
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/10/ameri...ntl/index.html

It is (are?!) 'they' (sic), as in the non-binary personal pronoun . . . OK, I would think that would create even more confusion in the gender wars.

For the OED is was: 'climate emergency'.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    nordvpn​
    It is (are?!) 'they' (sic), as in the non-binary personal pronoun . . . OK, I would think that would create even more confusion in the gender chatrandom wars.

For the OED is was: 'climate emergency'.
    Yes, it will definitely create more confusion. A very bad decision indeed.
    Last edited by Jesse00; 12-22-2019 at 05:31 AM.

3. Collapse Details

I had to make a very small shift in language use to accommodate this new usage. The accompanying shift in how I think about persons with whom I work, who wished to use 'they' in new ways, is far far more important. So, respectfully, I disagree on the possibility that such a change in usage as causing confusion. I am working in contexts now where this usage of 'they' is common -- it is our norm -- and it is not confusing at all. It is, instead, clarifying, and this new usage has helped persons see and understand each other better, and engage each other better as co-workers, acquaintances, and as friends.

(Perhaps this topic can be discussed, but I will not be surprised if it ends up having to be closed by gh. I hope that is not the case.)

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    I am working in contexts now where this usage of 'they' is common -- it is our norm -- and it is not confusing at all. It is, instead, clarifying, and this new usage has helped persons see and understand each other better, and engage each other better as co-workers, acquaintances, and as friends.
    If that were true everywhere, I'd agree. But it is not.
    Gender fluidity is causing all sorts of problems and offenses-being-taken, leaving well-meaning, but 'un-woke', people wondering how they suddenly are the bad guys. Not all non-binary persons use the same terminology for themselves, which only muddies the waters. Having to remember who wants what is exhausting - if you live in that world. My shared 'world' seems to be fixed in the 1960s, where we understand the importance of individual choice, but most of us are naive enough to think if we mean well, everything will be OK.