Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Nehemiah vs Moses
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Nehemiah had flat 400 speed every bit as good as Moses, and I think he might get him even in the 300H
    And better sense of rhythm. I'm such a Skeets admirer that while taking nothing away from Moses, I think that with a year's concentration on the event Nehemiah is better than Moses in the 400H. Seriously.
    Not alone. In the early-80s when there was a track meet in Durham, just before Skeets went to the 49ers, Bob Hersh was in Durham to announce and he and I had dinner one nite, and I still remember him telling me he thought Nehemiah could win 5 gold medals in Los Angeles if he tried to do it - 200, 110H, 400H, 4x100 and 4x400. Not sure about the 200 against Carl Lewis, but I think the others were possible.

2. Collapse Details
    Nehemiah was the best 110 hurdler I ever saw, but I don't think he could have won five gold medals with that schedule in Los Angeles. He wouldn't have beaten Carl in the 200 and yes, he had the talent to be very good at the 400 hurdles, but he wouldn't have beaten Edwin in 1984.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon
    Would love to have been in the stands at those Penn Relays the day he was running everyone down in the relays. I can see it vs fellow hurdler Orlando Mcdaneil in the 4x2 but to gain on Villanova's Tim Dale a 45 guy on that 4x4 anchor....impressive!
    I mentioned this thread to my father today. He said there was no question in his mind and specifically brought up that rainy day at Franklin Field.

I wish there was film of that and the Mighty Burner's '68 mile relay anchor leg somewhere.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar
    Nehemiah was the best 110 hurdler I ever saw, but I don't think he could have won five gold medals with that schedule in Los Angeles. He wouldn't have beaten Carl in the 200 and yes, he had the talent to be very good at the 400 hurdles, but he wouldn't have beaten Edwin in 1984.
    I'm sure that when I made the comment that bambam referred to, I was not taking into account the actual '84 timetable. I don't recall whether that even existed at the time.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon
    Would love to have been in the stands at those Penn Relays the day he was running everyone down in the relays.. . . impressive!
    I was there and yes, it was impressive, to say the least.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    I'm such a Skeets admirer that while taking nothing away from Moses, I think that with a year's concentration on the event Nehemiah is better than Moses in the 400H. Seriously.
    At one point, I told Nehemiah's coach that if a 400H match between those two were ever set up, I wanted him to give me at least 48 hours notice so that I could get on a plane and go see it. I didn't care whether it was going to be in Zurich or Timbuktu or anywhere else on the planet, I would have been there. I don't think I've wanted to see a race as much as I wanted to see that one.

Alas, it never happened.