Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Winter and Summer Olympians
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen
    bambam,
    Thanks for bringing up Jacob Tullin Thams. He was from my dad's generation. In 1924 or '25 the Norwegian Ski Champs were held in Voss, western Norway (birthplace of Knute Rockne). My dad was there an took several photos of Tullin Thams. They were in my dad's photo album. My brother in Norway has that album. I just knew Thams as a great ski-jumper and innovator. I did not know about the Yachting medal but Ski-jumping and speed skating were my favorite sports in those days, from age 8 until the Helsinki Games. Until Tullin Thams the ski jumpers mainly stood straight up during the jump, leaning only slightly forward. They had less speed and 45 meters (150ft) was a good length. But Thams started leaning markedly forward from the hips. That style was more or less the prevailing style until about 1954 when the Finns, Pietikainen and Heinonen totally dethroned the Norwegians. The Finns did not bend much from the hips. They dove straight forward, right from the boots. It was stunning to watch and it took close to 10 years before Norway again had the best jumper.
    Interesting to watch the evolution of ski jumping styles over the years. In addition to forward bend, the jumpers initially put their arms overhead, before learning to place them tight against their sides. Then in the late 80s the V-style came to be the dominant style. Similar to the evolution in high jumping styles.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam

Interesting to watch the evolution of ski jumping styles over the years. In addition to forward bend, the jumpers initially put their arms overhead, before learning to place them tight against their sides. Then in the late 80s the V-style came to be the dominant style. Similar to the evolution in high jumping styles.
    You are right.
    I like that V-style but I'm not crazy about the "flight suits" they are wearing now and the scrawny looks of many of the leading jumpers. Lightness is everything but some of them look almost emancipated.

When I was 10 years old I got to watch the then 40 year old Birger Ruud in an exhibition. It was in the summer so they had trucked in snow to a 50 meter hill and the jumpers ended up in stacks of hay after the short end-run.
    Birger Ruud did a somersault on those long, heavy, unwieldily jump skis with a perfect landing. It absolutely blew me away.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen
    I like that V-style but I'm not crazy about the "flight suits" they are wearing now and the scrawny looks of many of the leading jumpers. Lightness is everything but some of them look almost emancipated.
    Supposedly a fair amount of anorexia among the top ski jumpers.