Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Jackie Robinson and the long jump
    Several years ago, the daughter of my daughter-in-law's jogging partner, despite no event specific coaching, qualified for the 6A State meet in the LJ at low 17 feet. After Regionals, daughter-in-law referred mama to me for some long distance long jumping tips.
    I had never met the girl or seen her jump. All mama knew was her daughter was about 5' 8", about 120#, seemed to be pretty fast (anchors the 4x1) and her run up seemed to be shorter than most of the other girls.
    My (pretty basic) sage advice to mama was: Tell daughter to lengthen her run up, run up as fast as she could without "straining", get her new steps down, forget about jumping far, concentrate on jumping as high off the board as she could and reaching on landing.
    She won state at mid 19 feet.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    And in the eventuality that the Hubbard board was an inch high because the board was sticking up out of the runway that much, then there's another multiplier that comes into play, because you change the leverage of the jump.
    It's very hard to imagine a LJ board sitting up 1" over the runway. That would be a trip-disaster waiting to happen. The other irony is that 95% of the time the sand in the pit is MORE than an inch below the runway, so EVERYone is getting that advantage.
    Without knowing any better I'd guess that the board in Hubbard's case was on an up undulation in the runway.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    lengthen her run up, run up as fast as she could without "straining", get her new steps down, forget about jumping far, concentrate on jumping as high off the board as she could and reaching on landing.
    In a nutshell, that is exactly how I coach the LJ. It really is the easiest event in the world, if you are genetically gifted with speed and spring.
    I laugh at all the biomechanical analyses and such. Give me the better athlete two weeks before the meet and we'll whip your year-round-trained athlete. :wink:

4. Collapse Details
    I am not a coach and have never understood the "drop down on penultimate step", etc. I am just an old jumper who knows what works. .. maximum manageable speed, pound the board, jump up at optimum takeoff angle, control body in flight, reach with feet together, fling arms/upper body forward on landing.... repeat until you get it right
    Since I am usually officiating, I cannot coach during competition but I have subsequently coached several coaches, who did not know what to do with promising athletes, to similar improvements.
    I" been there, done that" ... no coach in HS, just came down "runway" (actually a path worn in sideline grass) at 9.8y speed and skimmed a foot off the ground for 22-23 feet..
    Of course, now I see 24-25 foot jumpers do that.. these are the guys who become 27-28 foot jumpers.

5. Collapse Details
    Does anyone know if there is any existing film of Robinson long jumping? There are several photos of him jumping on the Internet but I have yet to find any film.