1. Collapse Details
    Re: Jackie Robinson and the long jump
    Quote Originally Posted by user4
    Quote Originally Posted by 4:24-miler
    Through 1940 how many men had jumped over 26 ft? The three I found:

Sylvio Cator, 26'0", 1928
    Chuhei Nambu, 26'2", 1931
    Jesse Owens, 26'8.25" 1935
    Cator and Nambu were great to be sure, but something causes me to doubt the wisdom of raising either of them over their peer Ed Hamm.
    I'm not sure what you mean?

By the way when did the "broad jump" get renamed the "long jump"?

2. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Off the top of my head, about 1963.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    (for the simplest way to see this in action, try high jumping off a box in front of the pit; you go higher than the simple extra height of the box) (on second thought; I guess that used to work in the old straddle days: don't think I'd recommend it to a flopper!)
    Ahhh, but many floppers do that in practice, too! Jumping off a ramp or box can add great height.

4. Collapse Details
    My college coach would place a hurdle between the takeoff board and the pit to force us to concentrate on jumping higher on the takeoff. I don't remember ever hitting that hurdle but in retrospect it seems fraught with potential for unintended undesirable consequences. :?
    Anybody else do that?
    On the bright side, coach knew what he was doing. I did not get killed and progressed from a 23 foot jumper to a 25 foot jumper.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gm

Ahhh, but many floppers do that in practice, too! Jumping off a ramp or box can add great height.
    Yes, adding time in the air so you can work on clearance technique without stressing with numerous longer run-ups and more forceful take-offs.

6. Collapse Details
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    [quote=4:24-miler]
    Quote Originally Posted by "4:24-miler":38aev0gx

Cator and Nambu were great to be sure, but something causes me to doubt the wisdom of raising either of them over their peer Ed Hamm.
    I'm not sure what you mean?[/quote:38aev0gx]

Though accurate as you state it, I just thought it was not a useful grouping, placing Cator and Nambu in the same class as Owens. I think Hamm was at least the equal of both of them and none of the three the LJ equal of Owens (though Nambu was a better TJer than LJer) . One could make a case that we did not see Owens' equal until Lewis.

7. Collapse Details
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    My college coach would place a hurdle between the takeoff board and the pit to force us to concentrate on jumping higher on the takeoff. I don't remember ever hitting that hurdle but in retrospect it seems fraught with potential for unintended undesirable consequences. :?
    Anybody else do that?
    On the bright side, coach knew what he was doing. I did not get killed and progressed from a 23 foot jumper to a 25 foot jumper.
    You were one heck of an athlete.

8. Collapse Details
    [quote=user4]
    Quote Originally Posted by 4:24-miler
    Quote Originally Posted by "4:24-miler":2em0jew4

I'm not sure what you mean?
    Though accurate as you state it, I just thought it was not a useful grouping, placing Cator and Nambu in the same class as Owens. I think Hamm was at least the equal of both of them and none of the three the LJ equal of Owens (though Nambu was a better TJer than LJer) . One could make a case that we did not see Owens' equal until Lewis.[/quote:2em0jew4]
    Oh I wasn't listing them as as a grouping. There were simply the two world world recorders previous to Jesse Owens and who also cleared 26 feet. I am simply trying to compile a list of 26 foot jumpers up through 1940. I'm sure there were others who cleared 26 feet but didn't set a world record.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Off the top of my head, about 1963.
    What was the impetus for changing the event's name, gh?

10. Collapse Details
    A number of years ago my track team was using the gym because of weather conditions. It was an old gym not used for interscholastic sports. For some reason there was a curved line a few feet inside from the foul line. One of my 400 I.H. runners who had been a mediocre high jumper the year before yelled out, "Watch this, coach." He proceeded to sprint from under one basket to the other when he reached the line he leaped from it, off one leg and grabbed the rim. He then asked," Can I long jump this spring?" I of course said yes. I asked another coach who had always had good long jumpers what I could expect. He said, definitely over 20 feet, which at that time was a good jump in our league.

At first things didn't go well because outside he would just skim along the ground, getting no height. Eventually I was able to get him to leap for the imaginary rim. He ended up jumping almost 21 feet. Since then I tried it with other athletes but most were afraid to power off the floor.