Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: The Continuing Wussifcation of American Kids
    Quote Originally Posted by smc
    Quote Originally Posted by gm
    How is this any different from your kid running a 4:30 mile and beating the snot out of the poor schlub who trots across in 6:00? Should your kid slow down to protect the feelings of the slow kid?
    Bingo.
    Wow - there are so many reasons why that analogy holds no water!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    How is this any different from your kid running a 4:30 mile and beating the snot out of the poor schlub who trots across in 6:00? Should your kid slow down to protect the feelings of the slow kid?
    Bingo.
    Fire away, Pedagogue!

3. Collapse Details
    When I lived in Fort Worth, 40 years ago. Aledo was a small rural suburban town. I don't even remember that they played football. Western Hills was one of about 14 Fort Worth large 5A- 6A schools and competitive in every sport..
    Obviously things have changed in 40 years.

4. Collapse Details
    Bingo.
    Fire away, Pedagogue!
    The mercy rule forbids me.

5. Collapse Details
    Ahhhh, I see. :lol:

The analogy is what it is. This is a track and field site. It's all relative. Next time one of your vaulters decides to go higher and higher and humiliate the no-heighters, please step in and stop the madness.

6. Collapse Details
    Ahhhh, I see. :lol:
    The analogy is what it is. This is a track and field site. It's all relative. Next time one of your vaulters decides to go higher and higher and humiliate the no-heighters, please step in and stop the madness.
    Again, a supremely inapt analogy. It is a very common logical fallacy to provide a comparison that seems valid at surface value, but simply lacks any coherent model to understand the side that is to be illustrated. Individuals should always strive to do their best. There is no 'humiliation' in that. If one tennis player, one golfer, one bowler, one swimmer, one track athlete, etc. wins by a wide margin, the victor is judged by the quality of the individual effort. There is no shame is winning 6-love, 6 love; or by 20 strokes, or by 2 hours in a marathon. But . . . in a team sport - football, baseball, basketball, soccer - humiliation is a very real prospect, because of the group-effort nature of the end result. It's a sociological construct. And that is PRECISELY why so many people (a clear majority) don't like lop-sided games in team sports, but love a dominating individual effort. Even sport-writers, who LOVE displays of raw competitiveness and superiority, often decry the lack of sportsmanship in a 91-0 beat-down.

Sportmanship is indeed a figment of human imagination. Nature does not abhor a lion who plays with its prey before tearing it limb-from-limb. But humans have an innate sense of decency, of fair play, that forbids such boorish displays of disdain.

7. Collapse Details
    And that is PRECISELY why so many people (a clear majority) don't like lop-sided games in team sports
    A clear majority? Of Americans? Where did you learn that? It clearly is not the case in Europe, I had never heard of the concept prior to arriving to USA.

But humans have an innate sense of decency, of fair play, that forbids such boorish displays of disdain.
    That I am hearing here for the first time. Some clearly do, but with a blanket statement that the majority wants to play fair I would respectfully disagree. And when my third stringers kick ass of your starters, I do not find it to be "boorish displays of disdain" either.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details
    But . . . in a team sport - football, baseball, basketball, soccer - humiliation is a very real prospect, because of the group-effort nature of the end result. It's a sociological construct. And that is PRECISELY why so many people (a clear majority) don't like lop-sided games in team sports, but love a dominating individual effort. Even sport-writers, who LOVE displays of raw competitiveness and superiority, often decry the lack of sportsmanship in a 91-0 beat-down.
    As the saying goes: "only in America".

In international cricket for example, it is not uncommon for a superior team to beat an opposing team by an entire innings, i.e the superior team bats once and puts up a high score then takes 20 wickets in a row (10 per innings) before the opposing team can even equal the score.

In football, at the 1998 World Cup Argentina beat Jamaica 5-0. Examples of one team blowing out another abound in many team sports played outside of the USA, with no lingering psychological damage.[/quote]
    Regards,
    toyracer

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    And that is PRECISELY why so many people (a clear majority) don't like lop-sided games in team sports
    A clear majority? Of Americans? Where did you learn that? It clearly is not the case in Europe, I had never heard of the concept prior to arriving to USA.
    Some clearly do, but with a blanket statement that the majority wants to play fair I would respectfully disagree.
    Yes, a clear majority. I didn't know it was an 'American thing', but if it is, then another reason I'm proud to be a Murkan! :wink:
    You look at any huge lop-sided team sport score and you will find that most people (OK, 90% women, 60% of the men = 75% total :P ) will see a lack of sportsmanship.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    Some clearly do, but with a blanket statement that the majority wants to play fair I would respectfully disagree.
    Yes, a clear majority. I didn't know it was an 'American thing', but if it is, then another reason I'm proud to be a Murkan! :wink:
    You look at any huge lop-sided team sport score and you will find that most people (OK, 90% women, 60% of the men = 75% total :P ) will see a lack of sportsmanship.
    I'll rephrase my question. Where did you get those numbers? And, yes, this is purely a Murkan phenomenon. Look at toyracer's post above.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley