Facts, Not Fiction

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Stanford seeded #1 vs Prairie View as the lowest seeded team a blowout shouldn't be surprising I guess.
    A blowout shouldn't be surprising, but 15-0 is a big surprise, as it broke the previous NCAA tournament record by 5 goals.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    A blowout shouldn't be surprising, but 15-0 is a big surprise, as it broke the previous NCAA tournament record by 5 goals.
    Oh, that answers my question - why it was played. In that case, 15-0 is what it should have been. When you are in the playoffs, it's all-out, esp. when your subs are so much better than your opponents'.

3. Collapse Details

Stanford seeded #1 vs Prairie View as the lowest seeded team a blowout shouldn't be surprising I guess. PV in football is an FCS school and if we equate a football game between the level PV plays at in football vs. the possibilities at Div I...well maybe we don't want to think about the possibilities.

What's baffling to me is that in a sport which I've found confusing because of situations in which a team will move the ball forward to a point where they might actually take a shot on goal only to stop and kick the ball back to the middle of the field for reasons only described to me as the "beauty of the game" would have a score end up 15-0.
    There are a certain number of automatic bids that go to the champions of several conferences. That results in vastly inferior teams having to face powerhouses.

The solution to severe cases of over match can be found in lower level sporting events. Little League, Dixie Youth League, and a host of Softball Leagues have a run rule that prevents this from happening. After five innings, if a team is up by 7 runs or more, the game is called.

In most team sports, physical over match can lead to severe injuries. And even though it can be a boost to the higher skilled athletes, it does not really help them advance their own skills.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    There are a certain number of automatic bids that go to the champions of several conferences. That results in vastly inferior teams having to face powerhouses.

The solution to severe cases of over match can be found in lower level sporting events. Little League, Dixie Youth League, and a host of Softball Leagues have a run rule that prevents this from happening. After five innings, if a team is up by 7 runs or more, the game is called.

In most team sports, physical over match can lead to severe injuries. And even though it can be a boost to the higher skilled athletes, it does not really help them advance their own skills.
    To this point, there is an eight run rule in NCAA softball I believe.

5. Collapse Details

What's baffling to me is that in a sport which I've found confusing because of situations in which a team will move the ball forward to a point where they might actually take a shot on goal only to stop and kick the ball back to the middle of the field for reasons only described to me as the "beauty of the game" would have a score end up 15-0.
    I would say that tends to be about keeping possession rather than anything aesthetic. A player decides it is better that rather than take a shot which will probably not result in a goal and will probably give the ball back to the opposing team to pass backwards to maintain possession in the hope that a better chance will present itself shortly afterwards. I suppose it is a little bit like a QB who has a receiver in the endzone with defensive players covering who decides not to risk what needs to be a perfect throw and scrambles 5 yards for another first down.

6. Collapse Details

To this point, there is an eight run rule in NCAA softball I believe.
    Even in post-season NCAA Tournament play?
    Mercy rules are for HS and below, I would have thought.

I just looked up 'NCAA mercy rule' and found this:

[This means if a team is up by 10 runs after seven innings (or six-and-a-half if the home team is ahead), the game can be called. In a seven-inning game, the rule is employed after the fifth inning. This rule is not used in NCAA tournament games.

7. Collapse Details

Not all NCAA tournament games. Only can be waived for the Championship series. The Rulebook has
    : For NCAA tournament play only, the respective NCAA divisional softball committees may elect to remove the eight-run rule for games played between the final two teams of the championship, provided it is formally declared before the start of the tournament.

8. Collapse Details

I dislike mercy rules.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

9. Collapse Details

What would it look like in the first round of a Grand Slam tournament? If Federer or Nadal is serving at 6-0, 6-0, 5-0, should they allow the opponent to win a few games? Maybe they let off the gas a bit in the second set and win 6-0, 6-1, 6-1. That's still as lopsided as a 56-7 football score.

10. Collapse Details

The team or individual with a dominant lead should never be told to ease up and let the opponent score. If there is a mercy rule, it should only be to end the game when the lead reaches a predefined margin with a given number of minutes or innings left (or rounds, etc.).