Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Continuing Wussifcation of American Kids
    I believe in sportsmanship and compassion, but I think rules like these cross the line into
    wussification.
    The Northern California Federation Youth Football League changed its so-called mercy rule this season to prevent teams from winning by large margins.

A winning team that violates the mercy rule will now face stiff penalties.

Its not hurting the kids, it's teaching them compassion for the other team, said Robert Rochin, the deputy commissioner for the league. Its teaching them sportsmanship."

If a team in the league, which has players between the ages of 7 and 13, wins by 35 points or more, the coach gets a one-week suspension and the team gets fined $200.

Last year, teams that broke the rule got a warning and had to submit a letter explaining what they did to keep the score low.

Some players and parents said the more aggressive mercy rule is hurting the team and the players' development.

Now they are afraid their coaches are going to get suspended and they are not going to have a coach to come out here and play football, said Kelly McHugh a concerned parent.
    http://www.kcra.com/news/controversial- ... index.html

Aledo (Texas) football coach Tim Buchanan said the district has completed its investigation and found "no grounds" for bullying after a parent from the losing team filed a complaint following Aledo's 91-0 win over Fort Worth Western Hills on Friday.

Aledo, The Associated Press' No. 1-ranked Class 4A team in the state, led 56-0 at the half and went on to the lopsided victory despite playing mostly second- and third-team players in the final two quarters. Buchanan said he had his punt returner fair-catch balls after he had two long returns (including a touchdowns) in the first half. He put in his backups and simplified the playbook, but that didn't stop his team from scoring points in bunches.

A parent of one of the Western Hills players filled out a bullying form on the school district's website, accusing the coaching staff of not trying to do all it could to ease up. By law, the district had to investigate. Buchanan said he was scheduled to meet with the superintendent and others within the district office Wednesday as part of completing the investigation.
    http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/98 ... tern-hills

2. Collapse Details
    Re: The Continuing Wussifcation of American Kids
    91-0? There really is no excuse for that. The game should have been called at half. What do you think there was to gain in playing the second half? If there's no mercy rule in effect, the winning coach could have done lots more creative things with the remaining time.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    91-0? There really is no excuse for that. The game should have been called at half. What do you think there was to gain in playing the second half? If there's no mercy rule in effect, the winning coach could have done lots more creative things with the remaining time.
    Yes and no. I'm sure the coach was just running the ball in the 2nd half. If the team is that far superior and the running back gets free - is he supposed to fall down on purpose? What does that prove? I would find that more insulting. On defense, are they not supposed to recover a fumble or intercept a pass if it is there for them to do? I agree the game should have been shortened.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    If the team is that far superior and the running back gets free - is he supposed to fall down on purpose?
    Much easier than that. Linemen and 'skill positions' switch. Make the back and receivers do the grunt work and let the linemen bask in the glory positions. Let the heaviest, slowest kid tote the rock. When else will get that thrill? The refs can wink at the misnumbered jerseys. The opponents will have fun playing kids unfamiliar with their positions.

5. Collapse Details
    I go with the Michigan of the early 1900's idea which is....no score is too big. If the opponet sucks, oh well....bummer...not your problem. Michigan scored over 2000 points from 1901 to 1905 and gave up...36. They lost one game 2-0.

Would anyone believe an all black Tennessee HS back in the day was undefeated and unscored on one season, sure ya would but how about......no opponet crossed the 50 yard line on them?

I got no problems with running up the score, the hell with a mercy rule. Yep, too much...poor baby...going on.

6. Collapse Details
    I think the question is why were the two Texas teams on each other's schedule? Was it a district game? Occasionally we have this situation here in Tampa. One game a couple of weeks ago had a traditional powerhouse ahead of a traditional bottom feeder by something like 56-0 at halftime and it ended up 74-0. They are in the same district due to student population.

I'm not one for running up the score but, based on what I've read, it appears that the victors called off the dogs pretty quickly and the losers were pretty pathetic.

7. Collapse Details
    I never understood this American concept of frowning on running up the score. If the game is secure and the coach plays second, third, whatever bench-warmers, let them play. Are they still too good for the opposition? Well, that is just too bad, do not play teams way out of your league. Oh yes, I have no real problem with a running clock as a mercy rule.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details
    I think these are pointless rules, but the idea that they will make someone more of a "wuss" makes even less sense. You don't think the same "go for the jugular" mentality that is salivated over by pathetic "Glory Days" singing parents and fans could also be honed by the challenge of mercy-ruling a team by halftime?

The concept of sports as war/"manhood" training grounds is hilarious.

9. Collapse Details
    Aledo - FW Western Hills was a district game. Had to be played. Aledo's smallest margin of victory thus far in 2013 is 41 points. They have also notched two 84-7 decisions and a 77-16 in district play.

If you can't field a competitive team -- don't. How is this any different from your kid running a 4:30 mile and beating the snot out of the poor schlub who trots across in 6:00? Should your kid slow down to protect the feelings of the slow kid?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gm
    How is this any different from your kid running a 4:30 mile and beating the snot out of the poor schlub who trots across in 6:00? Should your kid slow down to protect the feelings of the slow kid?
    Bingo.