Facts, Not Fiction

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    spot on, if Bo Jackson trained for only track he would have weighed about 180lbs and he would have been an NCAA and USATF 100m finalist for sure.

Bob Hayes was a cut above even that.. a whole different level.
    Considering the fact Walker (10.23) and Jackson (10.44) were about the same size, I suspect that Walker may have been the greater sprint talent. Walker was faster than Sanders (10.26) while carrying 20-30 pounds more weight!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Hayes at his best vs Bolt at his best would have been a race I would love to have seen
    I fear that Hayes at his 1964 best wouldn't be good enough, but had he been born at the same time as Bolt, the advancements in training now would absolutely put him at a par with Bolt. If he had the training and technical expertise of Gatlin, my current ideal model for sprinting, he would have been at least .2 seconds faster than JG (IMO), so you can do the math.

3. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Considering the fact Walker (10.23) and Jackson (10.44) were about the same size, I suspect that Walker may have been the greater sprint talent. Walker was faster than Sanders (10.26) while carrying 20-30 pounds more weight!
    Totally agree about Walker and on top of all that he may well have been the greatest NFL athlete ever.

4. Collapse Details

Branch was not in the top 10.

For this part of the thread, we definitely need Brutal / Texas back!

Some good material at https://www.tilastopaja.eu/Track%20G...ov%202018).pdf

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I fear that Hayes at his 1964 best wouldn't be good enough, but had he been born at the same time as Bolt, the advancements in training now would absolutely put him at a par with Bolt. If he had the training and technical expertise of Gatlin, my current ideal model for sprinting, he would have been at least .2 seconds faster than JG (IMO), so you can do the math.
    At his 1964 best he ran a 10.05 on dirt. That is worth better than a 9.8 on today's surfaces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlet...27s_100_metres

He is one athlete that I am not sure would even need today's superior performance disciplines in order to be a medalist.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._the_track.jpg

Friends, we exaggerate the speed of bullets by using them to describe Bullet Bob Hayes.
    Last edited by user4; 12-04-2019 at 05:57 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Totally agree about Walker and on top of all that he may well have been the greatest NFL athlete ever.
    Herschel Walker was an amazing specimen but I wouldn't go that far, not as long as Jim Brown played in the league. Greatest lacrosse player of all-time per some experts, greatest running back ever (IMHO and many experts), even finished 5th in the AAU decathlon circa 1955 in his only attempt at the event. Also played basktball at Syracuse.

7. Collapse Details

Herschel Walker was an amazing specimen but I wouldn't go that far, not as long as Jim Brown played in the league. Greatest lacrosse player of all-time per some experts, greatest running back ever (IMHO and many experts), even finished 5th in the AAU decathlon circa 1955 in his only attempt at the event. Also played basktball at Syracuse.
    My GOATS (all sports)

1. Bo
    2. Jim
    3. Neon

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    My GOATS (all sports)

1. Bo
    2. Jim
    3. Neon
    Major League Baseball has an independent scouting organization (or at least they used to). They rate players on hitting, fielding, and running bases. The scores go from 20 to 80 for all three categories (no idea why). Bo scored a 78. That is the highest score ever achieved.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    Major League Baseball has an independent scouting organization (or at least they used to). They rate players on hitting, fielding, and running bases. The scores go from 20 to 80 for all three categories (no idea why). Bo scored a 78. That is the highest score ever achieved.
    Breaking the bat over his head in frustration is all I need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHsAjzPVKJE

or maybe running horizontally on the wall . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk3l_L-VJ3w

I got a million of 'em.
    Last edited by Atticus; 12-05-2019 at 03:00 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    That's interesting considering the fact that his career wasn't on a trajectory comparable to some of the all-time great outfielders (eg. Mays, Mantle, Griffey, etc.).