Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Pick the winner, USA or New Zealand
    Oracle, Team USA has been getting better, but the Kiwi's are still kicking tail. One more win and the trophy goes down under. The boats and crews have been incredible. There is something magical about a sailboat going in excess of 50mph. We will never see monohulls again.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: One win away
    Sigh . . . The America's Cup, like Olympic Pole Vaulting used to be a USA-only club. it's good that the rest of the world has caught (and passed) us, but yeah, I have enough red, white, and blue blood in me to look wistfully back at our domination. 8-)

3. Collapse Details
    It is a stretch to call the Oracle team "Team USA". It is run by a Kiwi, the crew is mostly Aussies & Kiwis and only includes a single American. Of course, it is USA $$$ funding the campaign.

4. Collapse Details
    Kiwi's are the best in the world and the owners pay for the best, pure and simple. The foreigner Americans won today on a great start. They will race again on Friday. The start is the key to winning.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye Catcher
    We will never see monohulls again.
    Which is sad, I think. The cats may be faster but the monohull's lines were far more elegant and beautiful, at least to my untrained eye. The very embodiment of the term racing yacht.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JayIsMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye Catcher
    Which is sad, I think. The cats may be faster but the monohull's lines were far more elegant and beautiful, at least to my untrained eye. The very embodiment of the term racing yacht.
    These big cats are speeding at over 50mph. Displacement monohulls of comparable length will have a maximum speed of about 13mph. The cats are for well trained athletes whereas a good big monohull may have some pot bellied crew members. Even GH and I could crew a monohull.

7. Collapse Details
    Team USA gets a big break. Light winds causes race to be abandoned with the Kiwi's having a big lead. The race must be completed within 40 minutes. Maybe the 2nd race today will be completed.

8. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    [quote=Rye Catcher]
    Quote Originally Posted by JayIsMe
    Quote Originally Posted by "Rye Catcher":1jgffk01
    These big cats are speeding at over 50mph. Displacement monohulls of comparable length will have a maximum speed of about 13mph. The cats are for well trained athletes whereas a good big monohull may have some pot bellied crew members. Even GH and I could crew a monohull.[/quote:1jgffk01]

last monohull i raced on I stood at the pointy end and it almost broached; end of my sailing career :mrgreen:

9. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    HMMM.... since I'll be in the city this afternoon, perhaps a walk along the Embarcadero is in order!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by meninblack
    It is a stretch to call the Oracle team "Team USA". It is run by a Kiwi, the crew is mostly Aussies & Kiwis and only includes a single American. Of course, it is USA $$$ funding the campaign.
    True, although there might be 2 Americans on the US team... But since it's primarily Dubai $$$ funding the "Emirates Airlines New Zealand" campaign, it's possible that some might also call it a stretch to call that team "Team Kiwi" too... :wink: