Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Fun with maps

Page 53 of 96 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    That is very lowbrow, AyZiggy, which is probably why I like it so much
    Second that. What arrested development delinquent (present!) wouldn't want to live in

Humptulips, WA
    or
    Dry Prong, LA
    or
    Pee Pee Township, Ohio
    or
    Floyd's Knob, IN

?!

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    Mapping Life Expectancy
    This was an interesting set of maps, but it raised some questions.

It appears life expectancies were based on local death records. So if, for example, one is born in New York, but retires to Florida and dies there at 90, thus showing up in the Florida death records but not New York's, doesn't that skew the data to make it appear Florida's life expectancy is greater?

Also, there is this strange statement in the methodology:
    "The death and population counts for age groups with zero deaths were replaced with the corresponding county death and population counts."
    In other words, if no one died in a particular age group in the years in question, we are going to pretend some did.

I am reminded of two notable flawed studies, one concluding that lefthanders had significantly shorter life expectancies, and one that firstborn children did better academically than second, second better than third, etc. It took awhile, but eventually both were debunked when their methods were corrected.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Second that. What arrested development delinquent (present!) wouldn't want to live in

Humptulips, WA
    or
    Dry Prong, LA
    or
    Pee Pee Township, Ohio
    or
    Floyd's Knob, IN

?!
    that's amateur stuff... a few miles apart in Kentucky, not far from Cincinnati, you'll find Big Bone Lick State Park and Beaverlick.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    all kinds of looks at Germany in an East vs. West point of reference 26 years after the Wall game down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...src=nl_az_most

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    all kinds of looks at Germany in an East vs. West point of reference 26 years after the Wall game down.
    Wow. I would have thought 27 years would have equalized things more, but some of those differences are very stark and clearly discrete.
    Last edited by Atticus; 10-04-2016 at 03:38 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    If ISIS is North America minus Mexico's greatest threat life must be darn good.
    No kidding. We in the US and Canada are likely to lose a lot more people and money to climate change than we are to ISIS.

Plus, I'd think narco terrorism poses a greater immediate threat to Mexico than does climate change. Climate change is probably a greater long term threat.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by kuha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Note that there are three teams that are not the favorites anywhere in the US--the NY Mets, the Oakland As and the Toronto Blue Jays. Toronto, of course, would be quite prominent if the map included Canada. I suspect that in the case of the Mets and the As, the issue was the size of the area polled. I'm sure the Mets would predominate in Queens County (and maybe Brooklyn), and the As must be more popular than the Giants in Oakland itself and maybe neighboring parts of the East Bay area.
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    The map says it's by-county, which leads me to believe it's not a very accurate sampling (based on Facebooking). Can't believe that Alameda County (Oakland) would lean more towards the Giants than the A's.
    I hadn't noticed that. If so, I share your skepticism about the accuracy.
    Here's another baseball map, dating back to 2014, which was when we had the dialogue above. If this one is accurate, then gh and I were wrong:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...eball-map.html

By continuing to click, and by using the + and - box at the upper right and moving the cursor to where you want to go, you can zero in not only on a county but even on a specific zip code. And for each micro-location, you can see the top three teams, with percentages of fans for each. According to this source, in the zip codes in which the As' and Mets' stadiums are located, and in the immediate environs, the Giants and Yankees, respectively, have the most fans.

9. Collapse Details

No surprise that the 21st century Giants own the area. Giants were the first MLB team in the area, getting a 10-year head-start on the A's. Plus a lot of recent Giants success for the bandwagon types. A's management has a long history of making fans think that management doesn't care about the team. Tough to be an A's fan.

10. Collapse Details

Here's another baseball map, dating back to 2014, which was when we had the dialogue above. If this one is accurate, then gh and I were wrong:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...eball-map.html

By continuing to click, and by using the + and - box at the upper right and moving the cursor to where you want to go, you can zero in not only on a county but even on a specific zip code. And for each micro-location, you can see the top three teams, with percentages of fans for each. According to this source, in the zip codes in which the As' and Mets' stadiums are located, and in the immediate environs, the Giants and Yankees, respectively, have the most fans.
    Here's a working link to the interactive map:

The accompanying article:

A follow-up article addressing frequently asked questions: